Q. I have pain in the middle and the left back and it affects the left ribcage. Please help.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

I have bad pain in the middle and left part of my back which is also affecting my lower left ribcage. Please help.

#

You have mentioned persistent upper back pains with radiation to the rib cage which could be due to a lot of reasons including disc-related issues. If you have localized back pain with no other symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesias, etc. then you can start with the following recommendations for an initial period of two to three weeks.

Maintain a proper posture of your back while working and sleeping.

If pain is more then, you can take a short course of anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen or Paracetamol or one which suits you.

You can also take tablet Gabapentin or Pregabalin in basic dosages especially if radiating pain in ribs is bothering you.

Physical therapy initially under the supervision of a trained physiotherapist and then to continue at home.

Adequate calcium and vitamin D intake if levels are low in the body.

Ice packs can be applied to the back region if your pain is acute, then hot fomentation can be done at home.

Analgesic spray for the local applications can be used and is easily available.

Avoid lifting heavyweight and acute forward bending in the mornings.

We will observe you for the next two to three weeks, how you respond to this conservative management protocol. If you are not feeling better, then we will have to get some investigations like a dynamic x-ray of lower back and few blood tests for evaluation.

|