Q. I have pain in the middle and the left back and it affects the left ribcage. Please help.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
Published on Dec 07, 2019

I have bad pain in the middle and left part of my back which is also affecting my lower left ribcage. Please help.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

You have mentioned persistent upper back pains with radiation to the rib cage which could be due to a lot of reasons including disc-related issues. If you have localized back pain with no other symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesias, etc. then you can start with the following recommendations for an initial period of two to three weeks.

Maintain a proper posture of your back while working and sleeping.

If pain is more then, you can take a short course of anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen or Paracetamol or one which suits you.

You can also take tablet Gabapentin or Pregabalin in basic dosages especially if radiating pain in ribs is bothering you.

Physical therapy initially under the supervision of a trained physiotherapist and then to continue at home.

Adequate calcium and vitamin D intake if levels are low in the body.

Ice packs can be applied to the back region if your pain is acute, then hot fomentation can be done at home.

Analgesic spray for the local applications can be used and is easily available.

Avoid lifting heavyweight and acute forward bending in the mornings.

We will observe you for the next two to three weeks, how you respond to this conservative management protocol. If you are not feeling better, then we will have to get some investigations like a dynamic x-ray of lower back and few blood tests for evaluation.

| 

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Does radiating pain from abdomen to left side of ribs suggest pancreatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old female. Last night out of nowhere I started having a pain suddenly under my ribs on the left side. About an hour later pain developed in my upper back on the left side. I did not fall or lift or hit anything that would cause this pain. Currently, there is no nausea ...  Read Full »

There is no improvement in my back pain. Does it indicate disc problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. About a month ago, I injured my mid-lower back while doing weightlifting. There is one vertebra that feels bruised to the touch, and I have pain in that one spot when I do certain movements, like bending. I also have a lot of muscle tightness and aching thro...  Read Full »

Ask a Chiropractor Now