Q. I have sharp pain in my back. Do I need intensive decompression process?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Aug 02, 2018

I am 33 years old. I usually feel healthy after picking up a large box. Before a week, I got a sharp pain in the middle of my waist at the back. Then I was not able to bend, and I had very limited moving. I went to a chiropractor. He told me that I need to do 25 to 30 sessions of decompressing, three times a week, on an electric bed that he has. Do I need to have such an intensive decompression process? Can I do a spinal decompression on my own in my home? Before ten months, I had a CT scan. I found that my three discs are bulging at the lower vertebrae.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

As long as you do not have any leg pain (electric or shooting type) or associated numbness you can do this without the intensive chiropractor sessions. Take muscle relaxants, ice the muscles which are in spasm, take painkillers like Tramadol for severe pain, and Paracetamol regularly, in addition to any available NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) tablet. Please have precautions to avoid lifting and do only gentle stretches for the back.

For more information consult a chiropractor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/chiropractor

How to treat my upper back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, While sitting on a sofa, I was completely relaxed, and my body was lying unbalanced against it. Suddenly, I felt some pain that started in the upper back area. But it did not disappear even after I got up and did a lot of body straightening and stretching. It was minor. Particularly in ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like an acute muscular pain. In such situations, I recommend following these steps: A muscle relaxant like tablet Flexura D (Diclofenac and Metaxalone) twice daily for three days. Hot fomentation. Volini gel (Diclofenac) for local application. Bed rest. ...  Read Full

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

Why does my pain radiate from back to thigh?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old woman. I am suffering from a radiating pain that spreads from back to the lower half of the body. I have this issue since a year. It aggravates when I ride bike. Occasionally, the pain may also radiate upward. If I keep hard item then I get some relief. I am takin...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptom profile with long duration of pain unsettled after muscle relaxant points towards disc herniation as a probable etiology. You need to visit an orthopedic surgeon for neurological examination to look for signs of neurological impairment and get an MRI sc...  Read Full

Ask a Chiropractor Now