Q. Is there any dietary precaution for deranged kidney function?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

My brother is suffering from back pain. His doctor recommended some painkiller for one month. Now, he also got pain on the right side of his back. His doctor recommended laboratory test for kidney and liver along with MRI of back. The result showed some kidney related problem. I want to know whether it is a sign of something serious. Can it get cured easily?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

• In your brother's report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can see some kidney dysfunction as well as urinary tract infection.
  • So, I would recommend you to get his urine culture and blood sugar checked.
  • Accordingly, he would be treated with antibiotics that might eliminate the infection as well as improve his kidney functions.
  • I would also recommend for his NCCT (non-contrast computerized tomography) kidney and bladder to check for any stones, that might not be visible in the ultrasound. Also, get an MRI done.
  • Pain could be due to that also, but currently, the priority treatment is to be given to the urine infection as well as deranged kidney functions.

For further information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

Is there any dietary caution?

#

• Not as such. No dietary precautions are needed if he is a non-diabetic.
  • However, you should promote him to drink plenty of fluids in order to flush out all waste products from kidney as well as to flush out the kidney stones.

For further doubts consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

Related Video

I am thinking to change my medicine for diabetes. What can I take instead of Sitaglu Met?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 years old, and my weight is 97 kilograms. I am a diabetic patient, and my A1C test showed a result of 9 %. I am taking Sitaglu Met 500 mg. It has not helped me. When I take it, within five minutes, my sugar level gets increased to 250 mg/dL and comes down again to 180 mg/dL or 19...  Read Full »

Antibiotics for urinary tract infection treatment

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.  Read Full »

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Article Overview: If you have frequent urinary tract infections, here are some strategies to reduce your risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong
Urologist

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections. Topical estrogen applied inside the vagina can reduce the risk of infections. Your doctor will decide if this treatment is right for you. 2) Sexual...  Read Article

Ask a Nephrologist Now