My mother is suffering from back pain. I have taken MRI by consulting a doctor. Can I get the best suggestion for this problem?
1. Spondylolysis of L5 vertebra.
2. Bulging L5-S1 disc with central protrusion, small osteophytes, hypertrophy of facets causing indentation on theca, encroachment of neural foramen.
3. Bulging L5-S1 disc causing mild impingement on theca, encroachment of neural foramen.
Welcome to icliniq.com.
Well, first of all you have given incomplete information. Tell me if her back pain also goes to any of the lower limbs? How much distance she is able to walk in one go? Please tell what all medications she is taking? I cannot understand anything written by your doctor (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
Also, it will be my advice to book a video consultation of mine because the treatment procedure is quite lengthy and I have to explain to you all the available options.
Thank you doctor,
My mother is suffering from back pain and it goes to the right lower limb until toes. She is able to walk only for 5 minutes and later on suffering from pain and unable to sit for more than 10 minutes. For two days, she is getting swelling in her legs.
Medicines used by her at present are Gabapentin, Methylcobalamin and Nortriptyline tablets in the night, Enteric-coated Rabeprazole sodium with Domperidone SR capsules in the morning, and Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, Chlorzoxazone tablets daily morning and evening.
Welcome back to icliniq.com.
Well, she has lumbar canal stenosis. So what happened in this is, there is a decreased diameter of spinal canal due to which she is not able to walk for more than 5 minutes.
Now, considering her walking time, she needs surgery because 5 minutes is very less and this signifies that compression is severe. But, we can give her a fair trial of conservative management. If she responds, then it is good. If not, then you will have a satisfaction that everything has been tried now.
So, coming to the medication part.
1. There are three kinds of drugs that are given in this condition. All three drugs have different maximum dose and we titrate the dose accordingly. Which means, we increase the dose gradually. So you have to be in regular follow-up with me.
2. Stop Nortrytiline and make tablet Gabapentin 300 mg twice a day.
3. Do not take Aceclofenac and chlorzoxazone for a long as they can be harmful to the kidney.
4. Get TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve therapy) therapy done for two weeks from nearby physiotherapists.
Ask her to walk frequently as much as she can. Walking will improve the strength of her back muscles.
Please contact me after three days. If no relief, then we will increase the dose further.
Was this answer helpful?|
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
.. 12 thoracic vertebrae and five lumbar vertebrae. The fusion of the body of the vertebrae between the thoracic spine is called a thoracic fusion. A fusion at the junction of the thoracic and lumbar spine is called a thoracolumbar fusion. And that b... Read fullHow does my recent MRI report vary from the one taken eight years ago?
In addition to either of the above two options, it is important to undertake physiotherapy ... Read fullPlease suggest the best remedy for back pain.
I have undergone bariatric surgery for weight loss ... Five months before, during the gastric bypass surgery my weight was 145 kg ... Hi doctor, I have been battli... Read full
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now