Q. Please suggest treatment and exercise for back pain.

Dr. Saswati Nanda
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

A few years back, I suffered from a pinched nerve in my neck and that incapacitated me with severe pain. A chiropractor saved my life and my sanity. I have also been told that I have degenerating vertebrae in the neck area. For several months, I have had recurring pain in my right shoulder blade and back with numbness radiating down my right arm to ring finger. The issue would recur if I lift or turn my head or reach something incorrectly or cease my regular exercise. A couple of days rest with the use of muscle relaxants would alleviate the problem. This makes sitting at my desk at work, in chairs at home or even in my vehicle for more than a few minutes terribly uncomfortable. The pain increased after the last treatment and the numbness is a new addition.  My past medication includes Methocarbamol and Cyclobenzaprine. Presently, I need to purchase a new mattress as soon as possible as laying down has gotten increasingly difficult. Any suggestions regarding the treatment, home exercises or referrals to sites for gathering more information on mattress selection will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dr. Saswati Nanda

Physiotherapy
#

• If the derangement is grade 1 or 2 means mild or moderate, then it can be solved by physiotherapy treatment or chiropractor treatment. But, if the derangement is grade 3 means severe, then you have to go for surgery or any other medical treatment.
  • I will advise you to do an x-ray and an MRI again. So that, you can know the extent of the derangement. Consult an orthopedic doctor and a neurologist too.
  • Regarding your mattress, you should use hard mattress instead of soft one and avoid using pillows.
  • Do some static neck exercise. Place a towel roll under your neck and press it with your neck. Try to correct your neck posture.

Revert back with the reports to a chiropractor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/chiropractor

|