Q. What could be the reason for radiating back pain while changing positions?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I have been experiencing back pain for the last three months. It started as a discomfort in the middle of my back, and the pain started radiating from the back into my right side and wrapped around my abdomen. As a result, I cannot do any physical activities and have sharp pain in my back and abdomen whenever I bend over, stand up, or sit down. The pain is in the middle of my back (right side), right flank pain in the lower ribs, pain in the upper right abdomen, and right belly button. I consulted an orthopedic doctor and took an X-ray, and he said he did not see any findings related to the pain. However, I have been experiencing this pain while changing positions. I am currently taking the medications Sertraline and Famotidine.

What could be the reason for this pain? Is it related to any organ or purely muscular?

Kindly help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

You have to be assessed clinically to identify the cause of your condition. From what you have said, it is a position-related and movement-related pain. I recommend consulting a chiropractor or a physiotherapist to manage the pain. Do you have any changes in bowel movements, weight loss, and appetite issues?

Thank you for your response.

A few days ago, I consulted an orthopedic doctor, and he gave me steroid medications. The X-ray reports were normal, with slight scoliosis. I have been experiencing weight gain, and other than that, there are no other symptoms. Does that exclude kidney diseases or the appendix if it is purely positional?

#

Appendix-related pain is felt in the right iliac fossa just above the right groin, and it may start close to the umbilicus but then moves quickly to the iliac fossa. Kidney pain is related to the area, as you mentioned, but it is continuous and unrelenting till the stone is passed or you take a muscle relaxant, and you may also have blood in your urine with the pain. Pain in kidney issues may aggravate with movement but is dull, not sharp. I suggest you take an abdomen ultrasound and consult a specialist doctor.

I hope I was helpful to you.

|