Q. What could be the reason for radiating back pain while changing positions?

Answered by
Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2022

Hello doctor,

I have been experiencing back pain for the last three months. It started as a discomfort in the middle of my back, and the pain started radiating from the back into my right side and wrapped around my abdomen. As a result, I cannot do any physical activities and have sharp pain in my back and abdomen whenever I bend over, stand up, or sit down. The pain is in the middle of my back (right side), right flank pain in the lower ribs, pain in the upper right abdomen, and right belly button. I consulted an orthopedic doctor and took an X-ray, and he said he did not see any findings related to the pain. However, I have been experiencing this pain while changing positions. I am currently taking the medications Sertraline and Famotidine.

What could be the reason for this pain? Is it related to any organ or purely muscular?

Kindly help.

Thank you.



Welcome to

I read your query and understand your concern.

You have to be assessed clinically to identify the cause of your condition. From what you have said, it is a position-related and movement-related pain. I recommend consulting a chiropractor or a physiotherapist to manage the pain. Do you have any changes in bowel movements, weight loss, and appetite issues?

Thank you.

Hello doctor,

Thank you for your response.

A few days ago, I consulted an orthopedic doctor, and he gave me steroid medications. The X-ray reports were normal, with slight scoliosis. I have been experiencing weight gain, and other than that, there are no other symptoms. Does that exclude kidney diseases or the appendix if it is purely positional?

Thank you.



Welcome back to

Appendix-related pain is felt in the right iliac fossa just above the right groin, and it may start close to the umbilicus but then moves quickly to the iliac fossa. Kidney pain is related to the area, as you mentioned, but it is continuous and unrelenting till the stone is passed or you take a muscle relaxant, and you may also have blood in your urine with the pain. Pain in kidney issues may aggravate with movement but is dull, not sharp. I suggest you take an abdomen ultrasound and consult a specialist doctor.

I hope I was helpful to you.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can scoliosis get corrected through surgery?

The pain medicines are not helping me now and I have started to limp and lean ... Please consult a neurologist for physical evaluation after doing an MRI scan and they will be able to guide you with your pain ......   Read full

Can scoliosis and neck stiffness cause physical disability?

Your issues are all due to the scoliosis of the cervical vertebra due to which you feel the pain and stiffness in the neck ... It causes misalignment and pain due to stretch and pressure on the nerves and the muscular spasms on the neck ......   Read full

Experiencing severe back pain following cervical polypectomy. Is it normal?

.. normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar sm...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Impact of COVID-19 on Female Sexual Health
Women have been affected and still face the consequences of Coronavirus on their sexual health. Read more about the impa...  Read more»
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Pregnancy
Carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy occurs when a nerve supplying the hand is compressed at the forearm level due to the...  Read more»
Breaking the Link-Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Bacterial Overgrowth
A surplus of bacteria in the intestine causes irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Read the article below to know more about ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.