Q. Can bacteria spread to the bloodstream after having had dental cleaning?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Nov 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

I am on Amoxicillin 500 mg twice a day for an abscess in my gum and I have just had teeth cleaning at the dentist's office. I read on the internet that the cleaning can cause the bacteria to spread to my bloodstream. Is this true?

#

• Yes, the infection spreads to the blood when there occurs bleeding at the site of infection. But, that is for what you are taking Amoxicillin.
  • Your dentist has prescribed you Amoxicillin to treat all sorts of infection either in blood or in the oral cavity.
  • You need not worry as the medication you are taking is for treating the infection. It will limit the growth of bacteria and kill them so that they may not infect any new organ or tissues.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Ringworm Infections

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the preventive measures for ringworm infections. Read Article

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Medical Name: Tinea corporis This is an infective condition of the skin that is caused by fungus which has tendency to grow fast in the hot, humid regions of the body. Facts About Ringworm Infections: Ring worm infection affects people of all age groups and has a worldwide distribution. It...  Read Article

Can infection on penis cause severe itching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from an infection on my penis. I am using Clotrimazole cream over the infection. Once I miss applying cream a day, the penis gets infected with red patches, pus-filled boils and there is severe itching. My partner is not affected by any problem though we are sexually activ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send photos of the affected area before applying Clotrimazole cream. After seeing your images, I can give my comment about your problem. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

I have a tooth filling that has come out with a lump in the gum. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a tooth filling that has come out, and woke with a white lump beneath it on gum, swollen lower face too on the other side of the site of lump. I had a dull, drumming pain during the night before. I rinsed with warm salt water this morning. Wondering if Flucloxacillin 500 mg whi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your tooth is probably infected which has caused the white lump on your gums. The decay has gone inside the pulp, almost touching your nerve and there is infection beneath the root of your teeth which has caused this swelling. You will have to confirm the status of your t...  Read Full