Q. Does smoking cause recurrent BV and yeast infections in females?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I keep contracting BV and yeast infections. My husband and I are both clean people. I am very health-conscious, and my diet is close to the federal recommended dietary requirements. My husband, however, is a heavy smoker (smokes half a pack of cigarettes a day). I believe this is the cause. Could you please let me know if this is the cause?

#

I want to tell you that smoking will not cause BV (bacterial vaginosis) whether you smoke or your partner smokes. There is some other cause. It would be best if you found out what the reason is. Maybe incomplete treatment leads to recurrent infection, or perhaps it is the condom you are using. Anyhow, BV is entirely treatable. Once you take the complete treatment, it will not reoccur. I would also recommend changing the detergent as it can cause allergic reactions, further leading to superadded infection. Also, you should get your sugar levels checked, as high sugar levels can lead to recurrent infections.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|