Q. Is it safe to apply Zidoval gel internally for BV during early stages of pregnancy?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

I am four weeks pregnant and I have BV (vaginosis) and some candida hyphae. My gynecologist prescribed me to apply internally Zidoval gel for five nights and then take two days break and apply Canesten soft gel pessary the following night. I already asked her if it is safe to take during early pregnancy and she said yes. I am now doing some online research and found many contradictions. Do you think that these are safe to apply? I am so much worried.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As such local application is somewhat safe and if you have diagnosed infection then it is always a query whether to take or not. If the infection is not much severe then you can wait for 12 weeks of pregnancy and then take the medicines.

In early pregnancy there are many contradictions whether to give or not to give tablets. But if the infection is severe then infection itself can cause harm to the pregnancy which is less than the medication hopefully because there is no certain study available to count actual risk while treating this type of infection in early pregnancy. So you have to choose wisely and if the infection is not severe then avoid any drugs and drink more water.

| 

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full »

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »

How do boric acid suppositories work for bacterial vaginosis?

Query: Hello doctor, How do boric acid suppositories work for bacterial vaginosis? 1. What do boric acid suppositories do? 2. Do you recommend them to your patients? 3. At what point do you advise your patients to use them? 4. What are the certain brands you recommend?  Read Full »