Q. Is it safe to apply Zidoval gel internally for BV during early stages of pregnancy?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

I am four weeks pregnant and I have BV (vaginosis) and some candida hyphae. My gynecologist prescribed me to apply internally Zidoval gel for five nights and then take two days break and apply Canesten soft gel pessary the following night. I already asked her if it is safe to take during early pregnancy and she said yes. I am now doing some online research and found many contradictions. Do you think that these are safe to apply? I am so much worried.

#

As such local application is somewhat safe and if you have diagnosed infection then it is always a query whether to take or not. If the infection is not much severe then you can wait for 12 weeks of pregnancy and then take the medicines.

In early pregnancy there are many contradictions whether to give or not to give tablets. But if the infection is severe then infection itself can cause harm to the pregnancy which is less than the medication hopefully because there is no certain study available to count actual risk while treating this type of infection in early pregnancy. So you have to choose wisely and if the infection is not severe then avoid any drugs and drink more water.

|