Q. Even though I maintain my oral hygiene, I have bad breath. What is the reason behind it?

Dr. Asma Parveen
Published on Nov 02, 2018

I have removed all the four wisdom tooth before nine years. I had a safe and successful operation. After removing my wisdom tooth, I started to have bad breath. Before the removal of wisdom tooth, I do not have this problem. Currently, I floss daily, and I brush my teeth twice a day. I am using mouthwash twice a day, and I also do salt water gargling after taking foods. Nothing helps me. What could the problem behind it? Please help.

#

You are maintaining your oral hygiene well. Having bad breath after extraction or surgery is quite common due to an open socket. But it generally disappears after a few days. There are other possibilities also. The first cause can be periodontitis. It is the inflammation of the periodontal ligament or the structure supporting the gums.

Bad breath can also occur due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) because of chronic acidity. Infections in tonsils or other areas of the throat can also cause bad breath. Food impaction around the teeth also causes bad breath. You can consult a dentist for a checkup and try to rule out periodontitis. Try to see the presence of calculus and do scaling. After ruling out periodontitis, you can see a physician for other health-related problems.

How can bad breath be stopped and prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing a problem with bad smell from mouth. I have faced this problem six to eight months before after my accident and I took heavy-dose antibiotics. I have shown to a dentist and I have cleared all my tooth problems. After that also, I am facing this bad smell. I am taking Omepr...  Read Full »

What can be done for bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a bad breath problem. I really feel a bad breath in my mouth when I wake up early in the morning.  Read Full »

It feels like something is stuck in my throat. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male who has been experiencing some symptoms related to my voice and throat. For the past few months, my voice has not been as deep as it has always been. If I try to lower it to how it was before, it takes a lot of effort and still does not sound right. I am constantly...  Read Full »