Q. I use tongue scraper and brush regularly, but I am experiencing bad breath. Why?

Dr. Bharat Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

I have bad breath, and it is not going even by brushing or eating, etc. What can I do? I have tried tongue scrapers and switching toothpaste. I brush, and the problem is still there a few minutes later.

#

I can understand your concern. See, bad breath or halitosis is due to dental problems and systemic reasons like diabetes, liver problems, or leukemia. I suggest you share more details like onset, duration, and frequency to confirm the diagnosis and suggest a proper treatment.

Thank you doctor.

I have no medical issues. The problem is daily and has been for a few years. Please help.

#

I am suggesting one medication besides maintenance of oral hygiene habits. Rinse with Halita mouthwash (Chlorhexidine, Cetrimide, and Zinc) during brushing and night after meals. Get the BANA (N-benzoyl-dL-arginine-2-napthylamide) test for specific volatile substances and associated microbes. After 15 days, get an organoleptic rating done to see the overall halitosis score.

Please continue tongue scrapers and tongue blades.

Rinse after every small meal.

Avoid eating cookies and chocolates for at least one month.

Please try these things and then update me after 15 days. Lastly, use the current paste you are using. Please do not change it. I hope this helps.

|