Q. My mouth stinks very badly. What shall I do?

Answered by Dr. Tooba Qazi and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Bad Breath or Halitosis? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Tooba Qazi
BDS
Dentistry

• Get a full mouth scaling done from a dentist.
  • Start using antibacterial mouthwash (example: Listerine) twice daily for two weeks. This is the best for stinking mouth (bad breath/ halitosis).
  • Another method for curing bad breath is saline mouth rinse. Take a small cup of lukewarm water and add a quarter teaspoon of salt in it and rinse thrice daily for 10 days.

You must get the cause identified. Treating the root cause will give a permanent solution for bad breath.

If the halitosis remains even after the use of mouthwash for two weeks, consult a dentist online for further treatment.

My teeth are wearing away and roots are exposed.What do I do?
Query: Hello doctor, My two front bottom teeth are wearing away from the inside (from below upwards). They will soon have the roots exposed and then I will surely lose them. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process? Brushing now seems to accelerate it with chunks coming out!! I have not been to ...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The scraping done to the inside area of lower front teeth is necessary to remove calculus deposited at the site. This procedure is called the dental scaling. We definitely have to remove those calculus deposits for longer life of the teeth. Use warm salin...  Read Full »

How to Prevent Bad Breath or Halitosis?
Article Overview: This article discusses the causes and management of bad breath which is also called halitosis.  Read Article »
Dr. Osman Adam
Dentist

Halitosis or a foul odor that comes from the mouth is not a medical emergency, but at least 25 to 30 percent of the world's population complains about this problem. Types: Halitosis can be described in two classes: Bad breath in the morning, which is a normal physiological change. However, it c ...  Read Article »

Indiscriminate Use of Mouthwash Alone is not the Solution for Halitosis
Article Overview: Most of the time people never care about the underlying cause of bad breath, they just use mouthwash and think "all is well". This article stresses on the fact that mouthwash alone is not a solution for bad breath.  Read Article »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Whenever we experience bad smell or breath emanating from our mouth, the next thing we do is go and buy a mouthwash to get rid of it. This goes on for 1 or 2 months, and then we give up to the fate or finally decide for some expert opinion. We need to give bad breath more importance in our daily li ...  Read Article »

What is the best treatment for oily scalp and hair?
How Is H.Pylori Infection Diagnosed and Treated?
Is it normal to have foamy urine?

Also Read Answers From