Q. One of my dental crown smells bad for more than a year. Kindly help.

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I have had bad breath for more than a year. I could sense the foul odor from one of the artificial crown. I am afraid of getting near someone as the odor is too foul. I have had numerous crown restorations in the past ten years.

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern, and I shall try my best to resolve your issue.

Are you sure that the foul odor is from a single crown and not from the entire oral cavity?

I saw the picture attached; the gum color has faded (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). If possible, kindly attach a recent x-ray of the oral cavity. Many a time, there might be pus discharge or infection around the sinus space, causing a foul smell. I suggest you do a full mouth x-ray.

Kindly explain the treatment and procedures you went through last time and attach the details of any other medicines you are taking.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

I am sure that the foul odor is from the crown in the upper front left side tooth. The gum has always been like that, and the tooth underneath is black.

My dentist did a thorough cleaning, and I could not understand the reason for my foul odor. I had a crown cemented two years ago. I do not have an x-ray now.

Kindly help.

#

If you can, get a full mouth x-ray or an OPG (orthopantomogram).

As you are sure that the foul smell is from a single crown, it could be because of an ill-fitting crown with poor marginal adaptation. This causes food impaction and favors bacterial infection leading to foul smell.

I suggest you get the crown removed and do root canal treatment for that tooth, or extract the tooth and replace it with a prosthodontic bridge.

Thanks.

|