Q. What could be the reason for bad breath in a RC treated tooth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 16, 2019

Two years ago, I had a problem with one of my wisdom teeth. It caused pulpitis in the front teeth, so I got a root canal treatment on it, but I did not get the wisdom tooth out. The dentist cleaned the cavity on it as well but covered it with amalgam. Recently I started to feel bad breath when I clean with my tiny bristles toothbrush in this area. I think it mostly coming from the interdental space. Please let me know should I get it drilled again?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

You have not attached X-ray with this query. Still, it might be an infection near the wisdom tooth. You may need extraction of the wisdom tooth. Send X-ray if possible and use warm salt water gargle twice a day for a week or two to remove the smell.

I have attached the file.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

The wisdom tooth is tilted, and it seems there is a gap in front of it and the tooth in front, which may be causing food accumulation resulting in bad breath and taste. You may need to get the wisdom tooth removed later on if you get pain there. The root canal treated tooth in front of wisdom tooth also do seem to have a bit of a problem as the mesial root of this second molar appears to be not filled adequately like the distal root.

You can see it clearly in X-ray that the root closer to wisdom tooth is very opaque (whitish) and the mesial root is dark in color indicating that the filling material has not gone down till the root tip. So, if at any stage you get pain on this second molar again, you may need to do root canal treatment again on that mesial roots.

Why do I have bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?

Query: Hello doctor, Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You do not need to be frustrated. It is very common. There are various factors affecting your bad breath. You can try these things to improve your oral hygiene. Avoid foods and beverages that cause bad breath, eat more fruits and vegetables, take sufficient amount of...  Read Full

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent...  Read Full

How to Prevent Bad Breath or Halitosis?

Article Overview: This article discusses the causes and management of bad breath which is also called halitosis. Read Article

Dr. Osman Adam
Dentist

Halitosis or a foul odor that comes from the mouth is not a medical emergency, but at least 25 to 30 percent of the world's population complains about this problem. Types: Halitosis can be described in two classes: Bad breath in the morning, which is a normal physiological change. However, it c...  Read Article