Q. I have balanitis with mild pain while pushing the foreskin. Please help.

I am a 63-year-old male. I am having balanitis. I am a diabetic taking the following medicines. Novostat CV 10, Optidoz, Glimisave max forte 1 two tablets daily, Fourts B and HCQs 200 for RA factor. I have no bad habits and stopped sex two years back due to health reasons. Upon medical advice online I took Norflox 400 tablets for the past five days and had to take that for two more days. I also took Azithromycin 1 gm single dose. A small amount of pus and blood was coming a few times with irritation and pain. Now after taking these medicines no more pus, blood traces, no swelling, and cuts noticed earlier in the bulb of the penis.

I have some pain and irritation while pushing back the foreskin while applying the ointment. Now I want to ascertain through a lab test as to whether the infection has totally gone. Kindly suggest me regarding further course of treatment and prescribe me a lab test.

#

I have gone through your complaints. I would suggest you to carry out complete blood count to rule out infection which will be reflected by increased total leukocyte count or increased neutrophils. Also, carry out urine examination and random blood glucose to rule out urinary tract infection and also see sugar is under control otherwise it may lead to balanitis.

Mild pain left on retraction of foreskin is due to residual inflammation that will subside within two to three days. Do gently retract the skin and not forcefully. Keep the area clean and wear loose cotton underwear.

| 

Hope, I have correctly mentioned the following tests referred by you. This is for lab technicians reference.

1.Blood count complete test.

2.Urine complete examination.

3.Random glucose examination.

#

Yes, you have correctly listed the tests.

| 

As per your advice, I have made urine and blood tests and uploaded the results for your consultation.

#

I have gone through your lab reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it shows that you have elevated total cholesterol and triglycerides.

Your sugar and urine examination is within normal limits. Your ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is also within normal limits. So you do not have an infection of the urinary tract. Take proper care of your foreskin and keep it dry and clean and wear loose undergarments.

But your total cholesterol and triglycerides should be controlled with medications which are a major risk factors for heart disease. You can consider taking statin group medicines for raised cholesterol and triglycerides after consultation with your local physician.

| 

I am taking Novostat CV 10 for cholesterol as per my local doctor's advice.

#

Yes, I went through your medications. It seems Novostat CV is unable to control your cholesterol and triglycerides levels for which you need to increase the dose after consultation with your physician.

| 

Through ayurveda, how to release tight foreskin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old married male. I am facing the foreskin tightness, but there are no cuts. Sometimes, it makes me uncomfortable in intercourse. Please help with some ayurveda medicine.  Read Full »

I have inflammation and small red bumps on the penis after sex and masturbation. Is this balanitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I have inflammation of the penis head and small red bumps on the outer edge of the penis after sex and masturbation. The bumps occur and disappear after a few days. I have been using antifungal cream for about a month and also took antibiotics. It looks like it has vanished but occurs b...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »