Q. I have irritation, stinging, and burning sensation on my penis tip after urinating. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have irritation, stinging, and burning sensation on my penis tip. It is worst after urinating. I had a urine culture done, and all came back normal. It has been going on for months and almost a year. I had several urine cultures done, and it all came back normal. But I have a burning feeling and irritation, and it is worst after peeing. I tried several creams prescribed by the doctor like antifungal and Cortisone, but none has worked.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from irritation, stinging, burning sensation on penis tip, and worst after urinating. According to the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) provided here, you may suffer from balanitis caused by viral, bacterial, fungal, or protozoan, etc. Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), improper personal hygiene, constant injuries, or frictions to the penis tip may cause balanitis. You can undergo a urethral swab for C/S (culture and sensitivity), a biopsy from affected skin, etc., may confirm underlying causes for your balanitis. In the meantime, you can take antibiotics, antifungal, and Metronidazole orally and apply Hydrocortisone cream on the tip of the penis. I think your balanitis may result from bacterial, protozoan, or STD. For that reason, your balanitis has not been subsided yet. Tests will confirm the etiology of your balanitis. In case of any other query, ask me.

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply.

I was prescribed Fluconazole a while back, and I took the full dose of it. But that did not work.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Thanks for joining us again. I have already mentioned the possible causes of your balanitis. A fungal infection may not cause it. It may result from bacterial, protozoan, or sexually transmitted diseases (STD) like gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, etc.

A urethral swab for C/S, a biopsy from the lesion, etc., should be undergone for detecting the exact cause of your balanitis. I can provide a treatment plan that will cover all the possible causes of balanitis.

You can take the medications as follows-

  • Tablet Suprax (Cefixime) 200 mg for seven days.
  • Tablet Flagyl (Metronidazole) 400 mg one tablet thrice daily for seven days.
  • Apply Clotrimazole cream and Hydrocortisone locally twice daily on the affected area.

You can go either for investigations or taking the medication. In case of any other query, ask me.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please suggest treatment for candidal balanitis.

Query: Hi, I am suffering from balanitis since last month. I am using an antifungal cream (candid B) to avoid it. Till the time I use antifungal cream all rashes/infection disapper, but once I stop applying the cream all symptoms start again.  Sympoms are: Red skin around head of penis and itchiness aft...  Read Full »

Why am I having frequent nightfall?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old. I have to face problems of falling of sperm. Nightfall happens four times a week. Some time my penis feels burning. It hurts me. I met so many doctors for some days, I get relief, then again I test all sugar, thyroid, and so on. All are negative.  Read Full »

Can lower abdominal pain occur after unprotected sex?

Query: Hello doctor, My query is regarding sexually transmitted infection. I had unprotected sex 51 days back. I had mild fever with a very mild burning sensation on my penis for three days after that encounter. I consulted a doctor and she gave five shots of Ceftriaxone for five days. The mild burning ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.