Q. I have red skin on head of penis. What medication can I use?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 20, 2020

I have red skin on the head of the penis. The forehead of the penis is red and when I pull skin up, I see some thick water like liquid (sometime look like it is white) is coming out of skin. The whole area where water coming out is red and looking like it has injuries or cuts. This situation is since last one week. When I dry penis head area, I find comfortable but when I pull down skin again, it gets moisture again. What medication should I use to get rid of this situation? Any herbal or antibiotics treatment?

#

From your history, it can be candidal balanitis. Treatment for the same is antifungal medications. But to be sure of diagnosis kindly send an image of the involved area and revert back so that oral medications can be advised along with topical.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have attached here the image of the affected area. The other part of the penis is clean means not affected.

#

Do you have a history of unprotected sexual intercourse? These ulcers (erosions) are present only over glans area? Is it associated with burning sensation or fluid-filled skin lesion? Is this the first episode or you had similar episode in past? Is this the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) after cleaning the area? Was there thick white colored collection?

1. Yes, had sex before two weeks with my wife. But she is good, no issues in her health.
  2. Yes, these ulcers (erosions) are present only over glans area.
  3. Burning sensation is not that much, I feel sometimes when I move covering skin up and down and when skin is dry, but yes with a fluid-filled skin lesion.
  4. There was something called fungal infection before two years and doctor had prescribed "Nuforce GM cream 15 gm" to apply. I generally apply that now also but not getting that much relief.
  5. It was cleaned at 8 AM in morning. So the image is after four hours. If I do not clean, it will get too much liquid getting out of the affected area.
  6. Yes, I see this thick white collection sometimes.
#

It looks like candidal balanitis. If you are not allergic to oral medications then at present consider:

1. Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once daily after meal for seven days.
  2. Apply Clotrimazole gel (DK gel twice daily), Fusidic acid 2 % cream (Fucidin cream twice daily). Both for 15 days.
  3. Keep the area clean and dry.
  4. Do not use any other antiseptic solution to clean. It can lead to irritation.
  5. If you have not got blood sugar levels tested then get fasting blood sugar, postprandial blood sugar levels done.

If in future you develop any active fluid-filled lesion, revert back as soon as possible.

|