Q. I have redness and itchiness in my penis. Please help.

Dr. Shama Naaz
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

The head of my penis is swollen. I have redness in my penis and itchiness which wakes me up in the night. Now the itchiness is getting better. But I am worried if it is something serious. I have no problem urinating.

#

From the attached picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it looks like you have developed an allergic reaction since the area is red and small bumps along with swelling are present.

You can do the following-

1. Avoid wearing tight garments, as it would lead to reduced friction, allow the area to breathe.

2. Apply a soothing lotion like Calamine over the area twice or thrice a day. You may also require an antiallergic (antihistamine) medication that you can get from your doctor.

3. Mild steroid lotion applied for 4 to 5 days over the external surface can also prevent allergic symptoms.

4. Use a gentle cleanser to wash the area. Dry with a soft cloth to avoid any friction.

5. Maintain hygiene and change bedsheets, towels regularly.

|