Q. What can cause irritation and bumps on the genital region?

Answered by
Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2021

Hi doctor,

I have irritation and bumps on my genital area. I have tried antifungals, but still, I did not feel better. I am looking for help from someone to see what it could be. I do not have insurance, so that is why I am seeking help here.



Welcome to

  • Apply Clotrimazole cream (Candid cream) twice daily in the morning and night for three weeks.
  • Wash area with Episoft cleanser or No soap cleanser daily for two months.
  • Apply Fucidin cream (Fusidic acid) cream in the daytime for ten days.
  • Maintain proper genital hygiene.
  • It could be Balanitis with fungal infection.
  • Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a day after food for three days.
  • Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at night after food for seven days.
  • Avoid scratching and rubbing of lesions.
  • Keep the area clean and dry.
  • Wear loose, comfortable thin cotton inners.
  • Avoid occlusion or friction.

Keep a check on your sugar levels.


  1. Are you diabetic?
  2. Do you have night aggravation of itching?
  3. Did you use any harsh soap?

Thank you, doctor.

Yes, I have itching and redness, and I used antifungal cream. I am not diabetic. I tried to send a picture of that area.



Welcome back to

Thank you for the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). My advice is to:

  • Maintain proper genital hygiene.
  • Avoid contact with harsh soaps and fragrant moisturizers or lotions.
  • Avoid scented soaps and lotions.
  • Always clean glans penis after retracting the foreskin.
  • Wash with warm water and a gentle cleanser, as mentioned above.
  • Dry the area after cleaning.
      1. Practice good hygiene, safe sex, and use barriers.
      2. Always wash your private area after sexual intercourse.
      3. A swab test can be done to check for possible infection.

    The cause of it could be improper hygiene, scratching and rubbing, allergic reaction to irritant soap, yeast infection, fungal infection, STI (sexually transmitted infection), and uncontrolled diabetes.


Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What can cause itchy bumps on penis that cluster together?

Also for a long time, I have itchy inner thighs because of which my skin turned blackish white and is still itchy ... Itchy rashes are due to fungal infection ...   Read full

Can fungal infection cause low grade fever?

.. a chronic fever, which is called as pyrexia of unknown origin when we are unable to ascertain a cause. As your blood tests and x-ray are normal, lung infection is ruled out. Conditions causing chronic fever are numerous. Also, certain infect...   Read full

How to treat itchy bumps and rashes in the genital area?

According to your history and the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it seems to be scabies which is a mite infection affecting the skin ... Hi doctor, I have rashes on...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Listeriosis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection, that can result in severe complications like meningitis, sepsis, and even death. R...  Read more»
Myositis - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prognosis
The term "myositis" refers to a set of uncommon diseases. To know more about myositis, read the full article below.  Read more»
Osteoporosis: an Important Public Health Problem
Osteoporosis is a problem that is largely preventable. This article focuses on the causes of osteoporosis and the availa...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.