Q. What can cause irritation and bumps on the genital region?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have irritation and bumps on my genital area. I have tried antifungals, but still, I did not feel better. I am looking for help from someone to see what it could be. I do not have insurance, so that is why I am seeking help here.

#

• Apply Clotrimazole cream (Candid cream) twice daily in the morning and night for three weeks.
  • Wash area with Episoft cleanser or No soap cleanser daily for two months.
  • Apply Fucidin cream (Fusidic acid) cream in the daytime for ten days.
  • Maintain proper genital hygiene.
  • It could be Balanitis with fungal infection.
  • Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a day after food for three days.
  • Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at night after food for seven days.
  • Avoid scratching and rubbing of lesions.
  • Keep the area clean and dry.
  • Wear loose, comfortable thin cotton inners.
  • Avoid occlusion or friction.

Keep a check on your sugar levels.

1. Are you diabetic?
  2. Do you have night aggravation of itching?
  3. Did you use any harsh soap?

Thank you, doctor.

Yes, I have itching and redness, and I used antifungal cream. I am not diabetic. I tried to send a picture of that area.

#

Thank you for the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). My advice is to:

• Maintain proper genital hygiene.
  • Avoid contact with harsh soaps and fragrant moisturizers or lotions.
  • Avoid scented soaps and lotions.
  • Always clean glans penis after retracting the foreskin.
  • Wash with warm water and a gentle cleanser, as mentioned above.
  • Dry the area after cleaning.
      1. Practice good hygiene, safe sex, and use barriers.
      2. Always wash your private area after sexual intercourse.
      3. A swab test can be done to check for possible infection.

The cause of it could be improper hygiene, scratching and rubbing, allergic reaction to irritant soap, yeast infection, fungal infection, STI (sexually transmitted infection), and uncontrolled diabetes.

|