Q. Which antibiotic cream can be used for balanitis?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Mar 14, 2018

I am worried about the symptoms that are appearing on my penis head since past five days. I am not sure about what it is.

Let me give you a bit of history. About five weeks ago, I had a body massage, but instead of the body massage, they gave massage to my penis with some gel. I am not sure what gel they had put, but it was a lot of gel and for a long time. After five days, I got balanitis. I learned about it online based on the symptoms. I applied Clotrimazole 1 %, and after three to four days it was cleared, but I continued the anti-fungal cream for about 10 days. Then a few days later I saw a few red spots. I decided to apply anti-bacterial cream Beclomin. Again, after a few days time, this got cleared, but, I continued it for a week.Then, I started to see the new symptoms. It is now for about five days. I keep applying Hydrocortisone cream 1 %. There is not much of improvement. It is not itchy but moist. May I know what may be the case. I am in the late 50s and currently, on Omeprazole and Domperidone for acid reflux.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

It is likely to be due to balanitis either due to infection or irritation (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Maintaining the hygiene is the most important. Clean the area with warm water two to three times daily. Avoid all harsh soaps or irritant. You can use topical antibiotic cream as it has cleared it earlier.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

May I know what antibiotic cream you would recommend and how long will it take to recover?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

You can try with topical antibiotic cream like Mupirocin (T-bact) and observe for 10 days. If there is no improvement, then you can consult your doctor for examination and management.

Why is balanitis not responding to T-Bact and Augmentin 625?

Query: Hello doctor,I have balanitis on the head of my penis, below the foreskin. I am applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill. It has been four days since I have started the medication. It is not going, though itching has reduced somewhat. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Balanitis can be either bacterial, fungal, viral or non-infectious. The most common being fungal. It is difficult to say without seeing your clinical picture. Please attach your clinical picture along with your query so that it is convenient for me to comment on your c...  Read Full

Can infection on penis cause severe itching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from an infection on my penis. I am using Clotrimazole cream over the infection. Once I miss applying cream a day, the penis gets infected with red patches, pus-filled boils and there is severe itching. My partner is not affected by any problem though we are sexually activ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send photos of the affected area before applying Clotrimazole cream. After seeing your images, I can give my comment about your problem. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

Ringworm Infections

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the preventive measures for ringworm infections. Read Article

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Medical Name: Tinea corporis This is an infective condition of the skin that is caused by fungus which has tendency to grow fast in the hot, humid regions of the body. Facts About Ringworm Infections: Ring worm infection affects people of all age groups and has a worldwide distribution. It...  Read Article

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now