Q. Which antibiotic cream can be used for balanitis?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2022

I am worried about the symptoms that are appearing on my penis head since past five days. I am not sure about what it is.

Let me give you a bit of history. About five weeks ago, I had a body massage, but instead of the body massage, they gave massage to my penis with some gel. I am not sure what gel they had put, but it was a lot of gel and for a long time. After five days, I got balanitis. I learned about it online based on the symptoms. I applied Clotrimazole 1 % cream, and after three to four days it was cleared, but I continued the anti-fungal cream for about 10 days. Then a few days later I saw a few red spots. I decided to apply anti-bacterial cream Beclomin. Again, after a few days time, this got cleared, but, I continued it for a week.Then, I started to see the new symptoms. It is now for about five days. I keep applying Hydrocortisone cream 1 %. There is not much of improvement. It is not itchy but moist. I am in the late 50s and currently, on Omeprazole and Domperidone for acid reflux.

May I know what may be the case.

#

It is likely to be due to balanitis either due to infection or irritation (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Maintaining the hygiene is the most important. Clean the area with warm water two to three times daily. Avoid all harsh soaps or irritant. You can use topical antibiotic cream as it has cleared it earlier.

May I know what antibiotic cream you would recommend and how long will it take to recover?

#

You can try with topical antibiotic cream like Mupirocin (T-bact) and observe for 10 days. If there is no improvement, then you can consult your doctor for examination and management.

|