Balanitis is the swelling of the glans (head) of the penis. It is usually caused by infection and poor hygiene, especially in uncircumcised males. Symptoms include redness, swelling, itching, pain and discharge.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Please suggest treatment for candidal balanitis.

Query: Hi, I am suffering from balanitis since last month. I am using an antifungal cream (candid B) to avoid it. Till the time I use antifungal cream all rashes/infection disapper, but once I stop applying the cream all symptoms start again.  Sympoms are: Red skin around head of penis and itchiness aft...  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Have you ever been diagnosed by a doctor because balanitis has several other causes as well and fungal infection is one of them. Get a fasting and post prandial blood sugar done and please send me a few details: Have you noticed any swellings in your groin area ? Do you ...  Read Full »

How to Cure Candidial Balanitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 44 year old male. I have itching on the head of the penis and the foreskin. It started about 3-4 days back. But now it seems that I have symptoms of balanitis. I found white substance under the foreskin. There is also some minor tear which make it difficult for me to move my foresk...  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to There is a difference between Candid cream and Candid B cream. This seems like you are having candidial balanitis. Please apply Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) twice daily for a week. Wear loose cotton underpants. Do not wash your foreskin everytime you us...  Read Full »

Can infection on penis cause severe itching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from an infection on my penis. I am using Clotrimazole cream over the infection. Once I miss applying cream a day, the penis gets infected with red patches, pus-filled boils and there is severe itching. My partner is not affected by any problem though we are sexually activ...  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Please send photos of the affected area before applying Clotrimazole cream. After seeing your images, I can give my comment about your problem. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online -->  Read Full »

Whenever I am on an antibiotic course, I develop balanitis. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 49 years old male. For the past six to seven years, whenever I am on an antibiotic course (Augmentin Duo 625 mg), it results in balanitis and smegma production which troubles me for two to three weeks and then goes away. About two months ago, I was on an antibiotic (Augmentin) for a...  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I need a few details to help you in a proper manner. For what condition you are taking antibiotics? Is it a self-medication or prescribed by a doctor? Have you got your blood sugar levels checked? Any significant medical history. Are you sexually active? If yes, then is...  Read Full »

Please provide medicine for infection in penis.

Query: Hello doctor,I had an infection in my penis like fungal. Please provide the medicine to cure that skin.  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to This looks more like herpes genitalis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Can you please send details like: Duration of the problem. Are you sexually active? If yes then is there any similar complaint in your partner? Any burning or discharge? Any swelling ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.