Q. I have a lump on the flap near the vaginal opening. What is it?

Answered by
Dr. Afifa Nighat
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2020


I am 19 years old. I’m kind of struggling because I’m scared to tell my mom but I have this kind of lump or pimple like on my labia majora (if i am right) but its on the flap near my vagina opening. It’s been i think two weeks since I first noticed it. Before it was just small, now it grew a bit and i guess it gets contracted once given pressure like when pooping. I haven’t had sex for months now. It was all of a sudden. What could be the cause? Is it possible to be a hemorrhoid? What can I do for home remedies since I couldn’t go out? Is hot compress good? Thank you. I’m really scared.



welcome to icliniq!

hope you're doing well!

I have read all details which you mentioned , it suggests that you're having Bartholin cyst, which occurs due to blockage of bartholin glands. Bartholin glands lubricate vaginal and vulvar areas. If it is less than 3cm and not causing any pain then the best is soaking of the genital area with warm compresses or with sitz baths. It will eventually be drained.

If it's painful , use tab: Panadol for pain relief as needed . Or else if it is >3cm then it will need incision and drainage or marsupialization . It's better to keep an eye on the lesion and share the details with your mother so that she can book an appointment for you with surgeon/ gynaecologist.Stay blessed

The Probable causes:

duct blockage

Investigations to be done:


Differential diagnosis:

Vulval mass/ cyst/ abcess

Probable diagnosis:

Bartholin Cyst

Treatment plan:

1. Tab: Panadol 500mg per oral thrice daily as needed for pain and fever
2. Tab: Augmentin 625mg per oral thrice daily for 5 days then stop
3. Soaking of the genital area with warm compresses or with sitz baths thrice daily

Preventive measures:

1. keep the area clean

Regarding follow up:

as needed

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to get rid of a Bartholin cyst?

Meanwhile, if you develop any symptoms like pain or discharge, you need to take antibiotics ...   Read full

I have an itchy swelling on the inner labia. What could it be?

.. be two possibilities. Either Bartholin's cyst or infected hematoma. You need to upload the picture for us to make the correct diagnosis. The size of the lesion will help us decide whether it can be managed with medications or incision might be ne...   Read full

How can the little bump on my upper lip corner be treated?

.. be a sebaceous cyst or a hypertrophic Fordyce spot or trichoepithelioma. A physical and histopathological examination is required to confirm the diagnosis and a surgical excision is the only treatment of choice.  Good thing is that most of them...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.