Q. Can ADHD make an 8-year-old angry at home and use threatening words?

Dr. Vandana Patidar
Published on Sep 11, 2019

My son is 8 years old. In school, mostly he is good for everything. At home, he gets angry with parents and his 2 years old sister. We cannot shout at him for anything. Mostly he will not listen to us. He will be making loud sounds, taking a knife, telling he wants to die like that things. He is ADHD child. So, please help us.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sleep Medicine
#

Yes, your child does have some behavioral problem which can be tackled through parental counseling. Children's behavior develops in response to elder's behaviors because they gradually experience things and grow and learn. So, the way you tackle with your child is the most important thingparental counseling is needed. Regarding the diagnosis of ADHD, children need to be assessed in detail before labeling this diagnosis to them. Do not assume things just because your child is more naughty, it does not mean he has ADHD. Things need to be assessed in detail.

Why do I overload my brain with so many thoughts?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with essential tremors, and I am always distracted. I suffer from tics and obsessive, repetitive movement like blinking, clenching my fist, breathing tics, obsessed with personalities and how consciousness works. I always focused on my bodily sensations, like how my legs f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be thinking excessively. Probably, it is your personality makeup which makes you think so. As long as you do not get distressed, it is alright. But, if you feel that you have to change, try focussing on your career at present. Invest your time in a new hobby....  Read Full

Article Overview: This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common condition, and why ADHD should be treated. Read Article

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I have met several people, including some doctors, who are skeptical about ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and question the sudden rise in the number of young people being diagnosed with this condition. I believe that ADHD has always been there, but previously, it was not well recogn...  Read Article

How to handle my husband with effective communication?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is very broadminded and good hearted. He is an all rounder in every arena, both at home and outside. He can manage anything and can do any task. But, he quickly gets irritated when saw any flaw around. He expects me to be 100% perfectionist in any work at home. Due to the irr...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I completely understand that you are facing a hard time dealing with your husband at times he gets irritated and you feel concerned about your baby if she gets affected by this attitude. Here, I am telling you something related to psychological theories and research findi...  Read Full

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now