Can Strattera affect kid's behavior?

Q. My son's behavior has become worst due to Strattera. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Sadaf Mustafa
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 28, 2023

Hi doctor,

My son is 6 years old and has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD and sensory integration disorder. He had Adderall XR 5 mg for a while and recently was changed to Strattera 27 mg. My son has been experiencing major insomnia, high aggressive behaviors which involved throwing objects at people, hitting, punching people, kicking and biting especially adults. As his mother I do not believe that he has ADHD. Although he has ODD, it is a normal thing in a 6 year old. However, the behavior is not becoming better and it has actually become worst to the point where he is on the verge of being kicked out of everything. I want to take him away from all medications, because I do not want my 6 year old on them to begin with. However, I am out of ideas and it scares me because my son could be really wonderful, but currently he is not at all. Can you help me with any suggestions?



Welcome to I would suggest not to discontinue Strattera (Atomoxetine) abruptly without supervision. However, I do think that your son is having side effects due to Strattera (insomnia, high aggressive behavior). Please discuss it with his psychiatrist as soon as possible and discuss tapering it off. Also, I would suggest getting a second opinion by another psychiatrist who has a chance to interview your son face to face. In order to characterize which DSM criteria (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder) would he fits in; I need to know about his symptoms when he is not on medications. Was he still aggressive? Did he have repetitive behavior? How was he doing at school? How long he had been on medicines? Please answer these questions so that we can go on further assistance. Remember you are not alone. Please hang in there, get him to another psychiatrist.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My dad passed away. How to make sure my mom is happy?

.. would like to congratulate you for your dedication towards your mother. I really appreciate that you are looking after your mother. As you are her daughter, she is expecting that her son look after her.   Read full

How to overcome insomnia and memory problems?

.. gone through your complaint. From what you have mentioned, it seems that you may be suffering from anxiety or stress related disorders. The symptoms that points towards anxiety or stress related disorders include tremors, twitching, sweating, insomnia,   Read full

What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?

.. whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common condition, and why ADHD should be treated .. ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.