Q. I have bleeding in my belly button without pain. What could it be?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

I am 30 years old. I weigh about 77 kg (overweight). My belly button has been bleeding for the past one year. I have been to three GP, one dermatologist, and they gave me antibiotics, steroid creams, but it does not seem to be improving. I finally got referred to a surgeon who told me to get an MRI for my stomach, and I would like to get the reports analyzed.

#

I have seen your MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But at this age, persistent belly discharge has several causes like remnant urachus tube, hernia, fistula formation between the peritoneal cavity, etc. In your image, there is no such connection with the peritoneal cavity, which is a good side. Next, there is hypoechoic opacity that looks like a cyst or subdermal abscess secondary to bacterial infection. However, the connection is not established. There is no fistula or malformations.

What you say is nothing internal but skin-related, subdermal abscess secondary to bacterial infection, or an internal hernia or cyst? I do have bloody discharge every day but no pain and redness around just discharge. Should I be worried? The dermatalogist said she could not find anything when she checked externally and thought it was a scab that was not healing. I am just worried as medical care is harder during these COVID-19 times.

#

Yes, on the image, it does not has a connection. It can be an infected cyst, hemangioma, or chronic abscess. You rule out other factors like diabetes or other immunocompromised diseases like HIV, HBsAg, HCV.

|