Q. What are the pros and cons of coconut oil in health?

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2020

Is coconut oil bad for the skin? A few years ago coconut oil was all the rage. We were told to slather it from head to toe for miraculous benefits. However, lately, it is been getting some backlash thanks to its comedogenic properties.

My questions are, What are the pros of using products that contain coconut oil on your skin? What are some potential cons? What skin types can benefit most from coconut oil? What skin types should stay away from it? How do you recommend using coconut oil in one's routine to reap benefits and avoid breakouts? If someone wants to use natural coconut oil on their face, what kind do you recommend using (i.e. unrefined, organic, etc.)?

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

#

Coconut oil is extracting traditionally from raw coconut or from dried coconut kernels. It is saturated oil and frequently used in skin, hairs or cooking purposes. This oil has health-promoting properties. It contains several fatty acids that have benefits to skin health as well. Now we will discuss some more about coconut oil step by step.

Coconut oil contains several fatty acids which of them lauric acid and myristic acid are very common. These fatty acids have antimicrobial properties which help to protect the skin against harmful microns. Coconut oil also has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to protect the skin from inflammation, contact dermatitis, eczema or other inflammatory conditions. It also helps to nourish and moisturize the skin.

Coconut oil does not contain protein or carbohydrates and a trace amount of a few nutrients. The fatty acids found in coconut oil raise bad cholesterol like LDL. These are the cons of coconut oil. This oil can be used in dry skin or hairs to moisturize them. It benefits skin health but not ideal for everyone. Coconut oil could potentially clog the pores and causes black heads. Sensitive skin people should not use coconut oil. If anyone has dry skin or hairs those can apply. They can do gentle massage with this coconut oil.

Coconut oil is very healthful if used externally. As it contains highly saturated fatty acids and raises bad cholesterol so those who have bad cholesterol should be avoided to use it internally. Coconut oil has a lot of benefits but one should use it after knowing its properties and their health conditions.

|