Q. Is it fine to practice swimming after my night shift?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Apr 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 28 year old female. I am a nurse and frequently works in night shifts. I am trying hard to include sports in my life. I usually swim, and I need to work harder to swim to lose the extra weight. I gained weight because of my sedentary lifestyle. Will it be fine to swim after 12 hours shift?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

• In fact, swimming is the best exercise for you. I always advise my patients to engage in swimming especially after undergoing stressful hours of work as it helps the body to relax.
  • It is fine to swim after your night shift. I will only advise you to get enough sleep after swimming, 6 to 7 hours of sleep.
  • I noted you are trying to lose weight. From your BMI (body mass index), your weight is perfect. Please do eat normally as you are supposed to. Your body needs it since you often engage in stressful night shifts.
  • I only advise not to eat heavy after 7 PM, and you will not gain weight. Take care.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

What could be the reason for right-sided anterior pelvic tilt?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from an anterior pelvic tilt in the right. He is a bodybuilder and currently not able to do workouts since he has pain and numbness in both upper and lower sides of the body in the right region. He also has muscle imbalance because of that. We have consulted se...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is common for this anterior pelvic tilt position to drastically affect your posture even up into the upper back and neck. The tight muscles are hip flexors, tensor fascia lata, and quadriceps and weak muscles are the gluteal groups and hamstring, abdominals. Str...  Read Full

Why am I experiencing rapid weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a concern regarding my weight. I have lost about 2 to 2.5 kg in a month's time. I have not exercised recently. I weighed 74.4 kg last month, and now I weigh 72.8 kg. Moreover, my waist circumference has also decreased. I am worried about this sudden weight loss. Could this indic...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your BMI (body mass index) is 25.36 which is close to the normal range. However, I do understand your concern. Can you provide more details about your lifestyle as well as medical and personal history? Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you have a family history of d...  Read Full

How can I control my urge to eat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am trying to lose weight for about one year now. I used to weigh 75 kilograms. With proper diet and exercise, I was able to reduce my weight. Now, my weight is 65 kilograms. But I am unable to control my urge to eat. I am cheating on my diet every single day and it makes me frustrated....  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have reached your normal BMI (body mass index). So after this, weight reduction will be a very slow process. According to WHO (world health organization), you are weighing right for your height. Coming to the eating problem, divide your meals into six small meals. E...  Read Full