Q. What are the benefits of consuming guava?

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy
Published on Sep 28, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 01, 2019

How does guava help boost weight loss? Can guava extract help in prostate cancer prevention? How does guava work as a remedy for cold? Why is guava recommended for better brain health? What can guava's high vitamin A content do for our eyesight? What are the other benefits of consuming guava (if any)?

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Ayurveda Specialist Dietician Nutritionist Yoga
#

Guava helps in weight loss as it contains roughage or fibers. Fibers include both soluble and insoluble fiber. Fibers are the part of plant foods. Not all fibers are completely digested by the human body, hence they will not add to your calories, but they add bulk to the food. After consuming it fills our stomach and makes us reduce the quantity intake of other caloric foods like rice, bread, etc.

Guava contains vitamin C, hence it acts as a remedy for cold. Guava contains vitamin E and C which are very much needed for good memory. Hence, it is helpful for good brain health. Guava is rich in vitamin C, A, antioxidants and lycopene which help in the prevention of prostate and other types of cancers.

Other benefits of guava are:

1. It helps in relieving constipation and high cholesterol as it is rich in dietary fibers.
  2. Potassium in guava helps to reduce hypertension.
  3. Guava has a low glycemic index, even diabetic patients can consume guava, which prevents fluctuation in insulin and glucose levels.
  4. Vitamin K in guava helps in bleeding disorders, prevention of spider veins, etc.
  5. It helps to boost the immunity and prevents repeated attacks of flu, etc.
  6. It also helps to prevent early aging and keeps the skin, mucous membrane healthy.
  7. Chewing guava helps fight bad breath (halitosis).
  8. Guava leaves help in treating vaginal and eye infections.

Rather than consuming an extract, it is always advisable to eat the complete fruit to get the complete benefits.

Can vitamin C induce periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am approximately 95 kg weight. I am in need of emergency contraception due to failed birth control. I will be ovulating tomorrow, so I am at a high risk of unwanted pregnancy. I obtained and took a 1.5 mg dose of Levonorgestrel (Plan B pill); however I have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Strictly speaking, vitamin C rarely can do so as evidenced in the history of medicine. These are myths and not true reality. As you are 95 kg, there is a very rare chance of failure of emergency contraceptive pills in this weight. Otherwise, do another option. You can ...  Read Full

My father has night blindness. How to keep his vision in good state?

Query: Hello doctor, My father has night blindness and his overall vision is very bad. He is taking some medication to keep his vision from degrading. He has been given advise to try Ocuvite lutein and I am not sure whether that is a good product for him. I am not aware of the side effects associated with ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Night blindness at this age is very unlikely. This is mostly seen in children due to vitamin A deficiency. First thing is we need to diagnose his condition. At this age night blindness can be due to to retinal problems like retinitis pigmentosa (genetic disorder in which...  Read Full

Amla - a Treasure of Vitamin C

Article Overview: Amla is the one of the most important medicinal plants in the traditional system of medicine. It contains the highest amount of vitamin C and has other nutrients as well. I have discussed the health benefits of amla in this article. Read Article

Dr. Durga Kumari
Nutritionist

The wonder fruit amla (Indian gooseberry) is highly valued by nutritionists and practitioners of indigenous medicine. This is scientifically known as Emblica officinalis or Phyllanthus emblica.  Amla has been held in high esteem in indigenous medicine. It is acidic, diuretic and laxa...  Read Article

Ask a Nutritionist Now