Q. Can dizziness and head heaviness occur due to ear problem?

Dr. Gursimran Singh

My father is 80 years old and has been diabetic for 30 years.

He has had a bypass in the past and also a stroke almost sixteen years ago. He feels a little dizzy after getting up from bed for the past week. His symptoms were more yesterday, and he was feeling imbalance while walking in the morning, so we took him to his neurologist, fearing he was having a stroke. He was much better after a couple of hours. His neurologist asked us to do an MRI, and he also mentioned that the imbalance or dizziness could be because of the ears. My father has lost his hearing slightly and occasionally wears hearing aids. He has been put on Vertin 16 mg twice a day and is called for a review after a week. His BP is usually in the 145/60 mm of Hg.

Is this vertigo? Is it normal for his age and will the medicines solve the problem? Please have a look at his MRI. I hope there is nothing to worry.

He takes Mixtard insulin 30/70, 50 units morning, 13 units night, Glycomet-GP 2 twice a day, Linagliptin 5 mg, once in the morning, Fibator 10 mg in the night, Metolar 25 one tablet in the morning, Dynapress 0.4 mg, at night, Arreno twice a day, Ecosprin 75 mg once in the morning, Thyronorm 25 mg one tablet from Monday to Thursday and two tablets from Friday to Sunday, and capsule Uprise once a month.

#

Sorry to hear about his problem. Yes, this condition is called benign paroxysmal postural vertigo (BPPV) when the giddiness comes on movements. This type of vertigo is common at an elderly age. When he stands, you should ask a physician to check your father's blood pressure; this phenomenon is called orthostatic hypotension. When a patient gets up, there is a fall in blood pressure, and symptoms like giddiness and sweating are common. After standing for three minutes, blood pressure (BP should be checked), and if it decreases by more than 20 points, we need to stop his BP medicines. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is expected, which is great news. Continue Vertin (Betahistine) for ten days and then reduce the dosage by half.

Could this imbalance be due to ear also? Can Vertin cause heaviness in the head? His cardiologist started his BP medicine, and the problem is systolic remains in the range of 130-150 mm of Hg while diastolic is between 58-65 mm of Hg. I hope that is fine for his age.

#

Yes, the imbalance could be because of the ear, and that condition is called benign paroxysmal postural vertigo (BPPV). It is a very common problem, and Vertin (Prehistine) helps in that. ENT specialists near you can perform a Dix-Hallpike maneuver to diagnose BPPV. Please ask your dad to get adequate rest for this week and decrease his caffeine intake. Vertin causes just mild head heaviness. His blood pressure (BP) is in a good range for his age. Please check his BP while standing and get back to me.

|