Q. I started to get dizzy spells in certain positions after delivery. Is it due to positional vertigo?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I had a baby before sixteen months. When she was four and a half months old, I started to get dizzy spells in certain positions. It was triggered by tilting the head to the right side while using my phone. It does not happen every time but it was very sporadic. It got severe after a few days and I went to the emergency. The doctor examined me and told me that I have BPPV. I did Epley on myself and vertigo on the right side got stopped. Then I turned over and continued following the exercise. It went away after four days and it came back after a month. I got constant unsteadiness. But I had not lost my balance. I have motion sensitivity when I move my head left or right too fast. I also have visual disturbances. I did a full workup including VNG, Dix-hall pike, and measured eye movement with goggles. I did a hearing test and it was normal every time.

I got an anxiety disorder when I was 16 years old and being dizzy made my anxiety worse. I have a large amount of brain fog and a spaced-out feeling. I am feared regarding dizziness and developed a slight agoraphobic behavior pattern. After that, my hearing became sensitive. I can hear the vibration of eardrums when peoples speak loudly. I also started to have vibration periodically in my left ear with some fullness. I also have mild tinnitus and it began after BPPV was gone. I am wondering whether it is due to stress or something wrong in my ears. I have consulted two ENT specialists and none of them found anything wrong.

#

You are having dizziness with hyperacusis. There is an increase in hearing sensitivity. The dizziness associated with these symptoms must be investigated. It can be positional vertigo but you should consult an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist and get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) done. Please mention whether you are breastfeeding, and the medicines taken for this problem. Have a follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.

I am not giving breastfeeding to my baby now. I stopped breastfeeding before getting these symptoms. I had done an MRI and CT scan. The results were normal. My blood work was also normal. Why do I have dizziness even after getting resolved from BPPV?

#

The imbalance can be due to a problem in the inner ear. You can take tablet Betahistine 16 mg twice daily for ten days and tablet Stemetil (Prochlorperazine) twice a day. You should do manoeuvers for positional vertigo.

|