Q. Is it safe to administer Benzodiazepine in a patient taking Phenibut and Kratom during general anesthesia?

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

I am going to be under general anesthesia in coming days for surgery. I did let my pre-op nurse know and wrote down all current medicines and supplements but have a question about 2 supplements. As I am not going to take them the night before anyways but just wanted insight. The first is Kratom. I wanted her to know so the anesthesiologist could dose my pain medicines right during surgery. Second is Phenibut F.A.A. (Free Amino Acid) would this would this have any effect on tolerance to the Benzodiazepine they choose to administer?

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

Anesthesiology
#

You are taking 2 drugs one of which is Psychoactive compound (Kratom) while other one is mind calming magnet (Phenibut). If you are taking those drugs since long time then you may have some tolerance to Opioids/Benzodiazepines/other sedative anesthetic medicines. So I would suggest you personally inform the anaesthesiologist regarding them so that he can make necessary adjustments in dose of anesthetic agents. I just have added effects of these medicines on body.

Kratom contains psychoactive compounds Mitragynine (C23H30N2O4, molecular weight 398.49) and 7-hydoxymitragynine (7-HMG). It is used to treat chronic pain or opioid withdrawal, although no scientific evidence supports this use. The leaves are used for recreation and for self-medicated opioid withdrawal treatment.Kratom's toxic effects include dry mouth, changes in urination, nausea, vomiting, and weight loss. Serious complications, such as seizures and coma, have been reported. The effects of Kratom are dose dependent. Small doses produce cocaine-like effects; larger doses cause morphine-like sedative effects. Kratom users report increased work capacity, alertness, sociability, and sometimes increased sexual desire. Phenibut is a modified version of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) which is one of the inhibitory neurotransmitters in the brain. It exhibits a relaxing effect and is also describe as producing a euphoriant, dis-inhibiting and calming state of mind.

| 

Is it necessary to shave beard before a general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am scheduled next week for out-patient surgery to have a malignant tumor removed from my bladder via a catheter inserted into my urethra. Before that, the anesthesiologist will administer a general anesthetic as well as a muscle-relaxant to keep me from kicking when under. The procedu...  Read Full »

How to get proper sleep with medicine during depression?

Query: Hi doctor, I began taking Valium 5 mg for the past 40 years for the depression. It gradually went up to Valium 10 mg taking three to five tablets every night. Later on, I took a psychiatric advice. The doctor told me to quit the tablet but I was not able to do it. Now, the present doctor says, it i...  Read Full »

How long will the effect of anesthesia last in septoplasty surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is about a septoplasty operation for anesthesia. Doctor says I need this operation but I am scared of the anesthesia. Mostly scared about awareness and being paralyzed. Can someone give me a brief summary of drugs used during general anesthesia for a septoplasty? Is it p...  Read Full »

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now