Q. Does my blood test report indicate that I am pregnant?

Dr. Sini P
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 30, 2019

Could you please check my blood test result? Does it confirm that I am pregnant? Could I know how many weeks? Do all the results look normal? Is there anything should I pay attention to? Do I need to do any additional blood tests or checks, such as for human chorionic gonadotropin and progesterone?

Dr. Sini P

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

1) From your reports, all blood reports are found to be healthy (but for platelet they have not mentioned the value due to clumped sample, but blood smear looks normal platelet, so that is taken as usual, for the value you can repeat it later).

2) Since your last period date was before five weeks, if you got urine pregnancy test positive, that means you are pregnant for five weeks five days now.

3) None of these tests are confirmative for pregnancy. Usually, pregnancy is confirmed by a urine pregnancy test, or blood test as you told (serum beta hCG), or by scan around six weeks.

4) So at present if you got urine pregnancy test positive means you are pregnant, no need to go for beta hCG now, do a transvaginal scan for viability by six weeks (means three days later from today), otherwise, the scan will be too early to see the pregnancy sac.

I tested twice using a pregnancy testing kit from a pharmacy, both results were positive. Is it accurate? So should I book a blood test for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin and progesterone?

Dr. Sini P

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

1) Since the urine pregnancy test is positive, definitely you are pregnant (serum beta hCG is recommended when a urine pregnancy test is weakly positive or any history of vaginal bleeding in early pregnancy).

2) Since now you are already six weeks, you can directly go for scanning (transvaginal early pregnancy scan for viability).

3) If the scan report is inconclusive, then you can go for serum beta hCG.

4) A urine pregnancy test is usually 98 % accurate when it shows positive.

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I see two problems in your history. Let me tell you the reason and solution. Birth control pills come in a pack of 21 or 21 active plus seven dummy pills, or the single dose of an emergency contraceptive pill. Whichever you take, will suppres...  Read Full

My pregnant wife was recommended a gall bladder removal surgery. When can it be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 13 weeks pregnant. Though she takes Doxinate tablet once a day, she still has vomiting. Also, she often gets a stomach pain which eases in five minutes. We have discussed with the gynecologist about these issues and he had suggested a full abdominal ultrasound. In the¬†ultra...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is good that you have consulted a surgeon and arrived at a diagnosis. It is nothing to panic about. If the sludge is left behind, it can cause an obstruction and not allow the baby to ...  Read Full

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The normal hCG levels in a singleton pregnancy as follows: At 4-5 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-7000.At 5-6 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-32,000.At 6-8 weeks the HCG level ranges between 4,000-150,000.In a twin pregnancy, the levels are 30% higher tha...  Read Full