Q. I consumed Betadine gargle two times a day like cough syrup. Is this a risky issue?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I am a 27-year-old female. I have consumed Betadine gargle for four times in the morning and night unknowingly. I am already suffering from acid reflux. How risky am I?

I am having a headache and I took Clavulanate 125 mg, Paracetamol and Raciper along with that solution. I thought Betadine is a syrup given. Kindly help.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have consumed Betadine gargle solution four times a day, which was given specially for gargling. Your query is about the possible complications or health hazards that can be arised due to the consumption of Betadine gargle solution.

Consumption of Betadine can cause stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, and burns of gastrointestinal tract. In excessive doses, there is a risk for iodine toxicity which may lead to kidney failure, electrolyte imbalance, or other organ failures.

If you feel any type of complications, then immediately contact your health provider or poison control center. Take plenty of fluids for rapid excretion of Betadine from the body.

| 

To your kind attention, I have consumed four times in two days not in a single day. And now I am having a headache. Do I need to visit a hospital?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

You may be advised to gargle with Betadine for your dental problem. Dental problems may cause headache. Again, I have already mentioned that Betadine may cause electrolyte imbalance, which can also cause headache. If your headache is caused by electrolyte imbalance, then the correction of electrolyte imbalance will relieve you from headaches. By taking ORS (oral rehydration solution), you can do the correction of your electrolyte imbalance. You can take Paracetamol for your headache and syrup Gaviscon, Domperidone with Lansoprazole for your acid reflux or GIT (gastrointestinal tract) irritation.

In the case of visiting the hospital, I think it is late now. You should visit there earlier. Betadine has already been absorbed, metabolized and begun to excrete. Do not worry. Treatment will be symptomatic. If any further complications occur, do as needful accordingly.

|