Q. I want to know about the treatment for bicuspid aortic valve.

Dr. Malay Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I want to know about the treatment for a bicuspid aortic valve.

#

Bicuspid aortic valve (BiAV) is a common condition affecting one to two percent of world's population. There are millions of people with the bicuspid aortic valve. Most of them try to live their life normally without knowing that they have a bicuspid aortic valve. Some people with BiAV can develop either leaking or constriction of the aortic valve. A small percentage of people can develop leaking or constriction later in their life and it needs to be replaced by surgery or any other intervention.

Some people with BiAV can develop dilatation of the aorta and it needs to operated. A patient presenting with BiAV without constriction or leaking of the valve needs to do an echocardiogram every five years to see the condition of the valve. If the root and the ascending aorta is not visualized properly by echocardiogram, then an MRI (magnetic resonance) of the aorta has to be done. Their first-degree relatives such as parents, siblings, and kids have to be diagnosed for bicuspid aortic valve and they are advised to undergo an echocardiogram to know whether they have BiAV. Even kids can develop it when they become older.

I am 28 years with a bicuspid aortic valve. Do I need surgery?

#

I have gone through the echocardiogram report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). No, you do not need any surgery for your aortic valve. There is a discrepancy between the final impression and the main report. It says tricuspid in the main report whereas it says bicuspid in the final impression. So there is no need for doing surgery for the aortic valve. Please mention the reason for doing an echocardiogram. There is a considerable thickening of heart muscles. Please say whether you have high blood pressure.

The reason for the heart muscle thickening has to be evaluated and if it is due to high blood pressure, then the secondary cause of high blood pressure has to be evaluated in a 28 years old male. The echocardiograms show that the aortic root is dilated and it does not mention the exact size. The size mentioned for the aortic annulus is normal. So, I recommend that you do not require surgery for the aortic valve. It is good to do a video consultation to discuss the cause of heart muscle thickening. You need to do an echocardiogram again and after a year to assess the valve and aortic root.

|