Q. My dad has pain and swelling on the big toe with high uric acid levels. Please help.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

I am writing this on behalf of my father. He has lately been experiencing a bump and some inflammation at the base of his big toe (only the right foot). I have also attached some photos of the same. This has occurred on several occasions throughout the past years and he is wondering what might be causing this and what is the best way of managing the pain would be? He is currently on Perindopril arginine.

#

I can understand your concern. I have gone through the images you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This looks like skin and subcutaneous tissue infection with inflammation. I want to know a few more things first.

Let me know is he having diabetes? Is that area on toe soft on touch or hard? Does it pain when touched? Any pain while moving the toe? Please reply with answers to the above-asked questions so that I can guide you better.

My father had run some tests and it turned out he had a very high uric acid concentration. He was put on some medication and the problem subsided nicely.

The doctors were not quite sure what might have caused this. I have attached some other blood test results (unfortunately, he did not get a printout of the uric acid numbers. Plus the values are written in Estonian, so I do not know if they are of much help but hopefully the words are more or less similar to English). Are there any known factors that contribute to high uric acid and what should he generally do to avoid a repeat of this kind of situation?

#

Most common cause for high uric acid is high protein intake. So please restrict the protein intake. Another reason is high cholesterol and borderline diabetes. Is he taking any lipid-lowering drug? Is he taking anything for diabetes?

He is currently only on Perindopril to lower his blood pressure. He has not been tested for diabetes but as per your suggestion is going to as soon as possible. Blood tests for cholesterol came back as follows:

Cholesterol: 4.8 mmol/l.

LDL: 2.7 mmol/l.

HDL: 1.1 mmol/l.

Triglycerides: 3.22 mmol/l.

The high triglycerides numbers seemed to be the most concerning. Is it generally something to be worried about? And if so, what could be done to lower it?

#

Yes, triglycerides are high. The best and natural way to reduce triglycerides are diet and exercise. Is he able to do any sort of exercise like walking or cycling?

Another option is lipid-lowering drug (Rosuvastatin). And also get done fresh HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) because previous one was just below the upper limit of normal.

| 

What treatment can be had for pain in the foot along with bruising of the toes?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a painful foot after dancing the whole night. It has bruised toes along the area of my big toe on the inside of my foot. It is painful to touch and walk. Any idea what is this?  Read Full »

Is Gum Inflammation a Curable Problem?

Article Overview: The medical terminology for inflamed gums is 'gingivitis'. It is one of the most common oral health concerns faced by each of us. This article talks about the causes and cure for gingivitis. Read Article

Gingivitis refers to inflammation of the gums. Gums (or gingiva) along with the bones and ligaments form the supporting structure of the teeth. Once they get swollen, there is redness, puffiness, and bleeding of gums. But, in most cases, it is treatable and reversible. When left untreated, it can l...  Read Article

Ringworm Infections

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the preventive measures for ringworm infections. Read Article

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Medical Name: Tinea corporis This is an infective condition of the skin that is caused by fungus which has tendency to grow fast in the hot, humid regions of the body. Facts About Ringworm Infections: Ring worm infection affects people of all age groups and has a worldwide distribution. It...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»