Q. I have an issue with portion control. How to correct overeating?

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Aug 18, 2018

I am taking consciously healthy, and a vegetarian diet with my partner. But, I have an issue with portion control. When I was growing up, food was not always available to me. So, when I had food, I ate a lot, and that habit has followed me into my adult life too. I am curious to retrain my mind. So, that I can get better control to eat.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

Portion control is very important to maintain a healthy body. If you have trouble in controlling portions, try to follow the following tips:

1. Have a full glass of water or one cucumber before each meal. It helps to fill up your part of the stomach. So, you are unable to eat too much.
  2. Eat your meals on time. Do not wait until you are extremely hungry. Eat according to the clock.
  3. Eat small healthy snacks in between major meals like sprouts, a fruit, or some raw nuts.
  4. While having your meal, keep all gadgets like TV and mobile phones off or out of your vision. This helps you to focus on your food and your satiety.
  5. Chew your food slowly and eat slowly. It takes around 20 minutes for your brain to understand that your stomach is full. If you gobble food quickly, you could end up eating too much.

For more information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Does Orlistat help in losing weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an unmarried 23 year old female. My height and weight are 5'6" and 105 kg respectively. Till now I do not have any medical issue. From childhood, I am a bit fat. So I would like to know, is there any tablet which can help me lose weight along with diet? I heard that Xenical (Orlista...  Read Full »

What do you think about drinking water from copper vessels?

Query: Hello doctor, I read about the ancient practice of drinking water from copper vessels. Is it really good for health? My 3 year old son has wheezing and respiratory problems. Also, once he was admitted to hospital for sepsis. He is using the Foracort inhaler twice a day and Zincovit syrup once a day....  Read Full »

Borderline Personality Disorder

Article Overview: Persons with borderline personality disorder are very dramatic, impulsive, and emotionally unstable. They stand on the border between neurosis and psychosis. Read Article

Dr. Ravi M Soni

Borderline personality disorder is a mental illness where the person has difficulty handling their emotions appropriate to social standards. Even minor situations can trigger major reactions. They have unstable mood, behavior, object relations, and self-image. They stand on the border between neuros...  Read Article

Ask a Nutritionist Now