Q. My mother seems to have OCD or schizophrenia. Please help.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 10, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2021

My mother seems to have severe OCD or symptoms of schizophrenia. She hoards things and stopped bathing. She has chronic asthma and not taking medicines. She has attacked her sisters. She dislikes everyone and she has a feeling of running away. She used to listen only to me but now she avoids me. She began to attack me also. She is not eating and drinks unhealthy amounts of tea every day. She constantly picks her hair and facial skin. She has some suicidal thoughts. She is not willing to consult a psychiatrist and so I tried this one. Please help us.

#

Currently, your mother has symptoms of suicidal thoughts, poor self-care, episodes of violence and irritation, hoarding things, picking hair with compulsive symptoms and she is not ready to seek treatment for the illness present in her. Though she has some compulsive symptoms like hoarding and picking hair or skin, the overall diagnosis is psychosis. Please mention whether she has symptoms of hearing voices, paranoid beliefs, being fearful or suspicious of others. These symptoms suggest schizophrenia.

I would consider bipolar disorder as the differential diagnosis due to the history of mental illness and suicide. The current episode can be due to an episode of depression with psychotic features in the course of bipolar disorder. Please mention whether she has mood swings or sudden changes in her symptoms that range from depression to increased activity and talking. Please mention the duration of asthma and any other medical conditions present in her. Please mention the duration of these symptoms and any medication taken in the past and any exacerbation after childbirth. It is better to have online consultation soon to discuss in detail and a proper diagnosis can be reached. So effective treatments can be given to get control of the symptoms.

You need to investigate complete blood count, blood pressure, fasting, and postprandial blood sugar levels.

Your mother can have obsessive-compulsive disorder or bipolar disorder.

Your mother can have chronic paranoid schizophrenia.

Detailed history and evaluation are necessary to provide proper treatment.

Have a follow up at any time.

|