Q. What are the pros and cons of switching from combination OCP to a hormonal IUD?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 03, 2020
I am hoping to get some advice about the pros and cons of switching from my combo OCP to a hormonal IUD from someone with more experience on the topic than my family doctor. My main concern is the effects of losing the estrogen that is in my pills but not the IUD and how that will affect my body and mind
History
-21 y/o female
-Depression
-Taking combo OCP for 6 years now
-Sexaully active with 1 long term partner, not interested in getting pregnant any time soon
-Prior to starting OCPs at 15 I had extremely heavy flow and severe cramps, negative for endometriosis
-No pregnancies
-Forgetful about pills on occasion
#

Dear, good morning

I have understood your concern and will surely help you. pros versus cons as desired by you.

See estrogen in your ocp may leave some side effects for few days, something similar when you started your ocp long back but it will slowly fade away. it won't adversely effect your routine and life in any major way for long term.

since you are not planning to get pregnant soon and you sometime forget taking the pill then IUD is better choice.

IUD will not interfere in case you have to use any medication in future, whereas ocp may interfere or their effectiveness may get reduced.

cons of IUD - will require regular check for position.

only thing is that your periods will take some time to stabilise with IUD as before ocp you were having heavy flow and extreme cramps. however it will settle down after first period.

final recommendation - I think you can go for IUD and according to research I have gone through discontinue of estrogen based pills will not hamper your routine .

Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information

God bless

|