Q. Am I taking my birth control pills in the right sequence?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am a 28 year old female. I am on birth control pills (Femilon) from the last two months. I had finished the first pack on the 19th last month. After that, I got my period on the sixth pill-free day, that is, on the 25th. I have restarted the new pack on the 27th. I have taken all the pills regularly and at the same time between 10.30 to 11 PM every day without missing any pill. On the 5th of this month, I had unprotected sex with my husband, but he did not ejaculate inside me and my second pill pack finished on the 16th this month. Today is my sixth pill-free day, but I still did not get my period. I am not feeling any pre-period symptoms like legs and back pains. I have done a home pregnancy test on the fourth pill-free day, but that was negative.

I am worried about pregnancy because I have a little one who is 2 years old and I do not want another baby now. I had a D and C just four months back as the emergency contraceptive pill Unwanted 72 I took failed in my case. I am worried about this. Please suggest what I should do so that I can relax. Is my sequence of taking the new pill pack of 21 pills after a gap of seven days correct?

#

• As you have correctly taken all the pills in the pack regularly as prescribed, that is for 21 days with 7 days off, there is very less chance of a pregnancy. The failure rates of pills, if properly used, is less than 0.5 %.
  • So, you need not panic and repeat your urine pregnancy test on day-7 of the pill-free days and if negative, restart your fresh pack.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have checked for pregnancy on the fourth pill-free day and that was negative. Is it not an accurate time to detect the pregnancy? Also, are delayed periods normal or a side effect? If not, can I continue taking these pills in the long run?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

• Usually, the periods should come once you stop the pills. So, just wait till day-7 after stopping the pills and repeat the urine pregnancy test.
  • Get an ultrasound pelvis if you do not get your periods and consult a gynecologist.
  • Delayed periods need not be because of pregnancy.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|