Birth Control Pills

How long does it take for periods to start after stopping birth control?

Query: Hi, I got off the pill after being on it for almost 5 years about four months ago. I still don’t have my period but I know that it can take months and for some people a year or more to get it back but I just wonder why its taking so long? I am healthy and at a normal weight. More details abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com I am happy to help you with your query. It can take a while for your period to come back after you stop taking the pill. Most women will have a period around 1-2months after stopping the pill, but this also depends on a number of factors: BMI, stress, exercise and con...  Read Full »

How to differentiate between hormonal imbalance or insulin resistance?

Query: Hi there, I just want to find out, how would you know if you have a hormone imbalance or insulin resistance? I have been struggling with my weight for 3 years now, I was on the pill and went off this year, my weight has increased by 16kg in the 3 years that I was on birth control, I urinate every 30...  Read Full »

Dr. Afifa Nighat

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: hello welcome to icliniq! hope you're doing fine! Well, insulin resistance commonly occurs in obese patient resulting in a unified diagnosis of Metabolic syndrome . Subnormal glucose response to an endogenously or exogenously administered insulin defines insulin resistance. In your case, polycys...  Read Full »

Can premenstrual syndrome make women vomit an entire day every three weeks?

Query: About every 3 weeks to every month I have one day where I throw up from the morning until night. Like every 30 min im in the bathroom throwing up and it just gets to me throwing up stomach acid because I have nothing left. Today is one of those days and I don’t know what to do to make my stoma...  Read Full »

Dr. Artur Holubka

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello! I can safely assume Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS), or premenstrual tension syndrome, premenstrual illness, cyclic syndrome, - a complex cyclical symptom complex that occurs in some women in premenstrual days (2-10 days before menstruation) and characterized by psychoemotional, vegetative and me...  Read Full »

How to know that I am pregnant while on birth control pills?

Query: Hi doctor, About two weeks ago, I started having watery brown discharge as I had never seen before. My period is three days and usually, I spot a little before but more dried blood than watery light brown and not starting that early. I had a feeling I was pregnant because I was having similar sympt...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is understandable that it is quite concerning for you. First thing to know is if you were sexually active about two weeks before this happened. If yes, it is advisable to get a pregnancy test done even though you are on birth control pills. The failure rate of birth ...  Read Full »

My serum ferritin is low, and birth control pills make me depressed and tired. Why?

Query: Hello I am a 25 year old woman who gave birth to my first child a year back. After giving birth in 2 months I started taking yasmin birth control pills then they gave me nausea all time and I didnt feel hungry or could eat so I switched to yaz control pills after 4 months and they make me so depress...  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: hello, there are few things I like to point out from ur history 1) yaz or Yasmin is not the right choice of birth control pills right after child birth ( yaz and Yasmin are combined oral contraception containing estrogen and progesterone and this is not safe immediately after child birth if ur bre...  Read Full »

Will Melatonin reduce the effect of birth control pills?

Query: Hello doctor, I have read that Melatonin could possibly lessen the effectiveness of birth control pills. My understanding is that there is little to no peer-reviewed scientific studies to support this claim, but I am still worried, as I am sexually active and take 3 mg of Melatonin each night (and ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern here and you are right that there are not many or in fact hardly any articles or peer-reviewed papers on Melatonin and birth control interactions. But I would like to keep it simple for you to understand. Melatonin is produced during the night...  Read Full »

What is the possibility of breast cancer to transfer in generations?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old female. I am fatigued, sluggish, difficulty concentrating, migraines, and difficulty regulating temperature. I have periodic tightness in the chest and fluttering sensation. My EKG, CT chest, and chest x-ray are normal and the COVID test is negative. My Vitamin B12...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your reports are normal nothing seems worrisome (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since you have a family history of breast cancer, you should get a mammogram done. Also get your BRCA gene (breast cancer gene) tests done. It is a blood test and if it is...  Read Full »

What are the chances of getting pregnant on the 10th of the cycle?

Query: Hello SIr, After finishing 1 pack of combination pill(21 Tablets) I forgot to start another pack on 8th day,So I started new pack from 10th day,We had intercourse in 10th day and I took ECP(Unwanted 72) after 42 hours of intercourse,Is thre any Chance of getting Pregnent?  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, How are you doing? Hope you & your loved ones are safe and healthy. From your history I can say that you have no chance of pregnancy at all. Points in favour of my saying so are - 1. Usually a lady's ovulation occurs 14 days prior to the period. So average of 13-18 th day of pe...  Read Full »

Will birth control pills cause frequent periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having very irregular periods since I began getting them. I have been on birth control to help manage and track them, but as of recently, I have been having more sporadic periods. For instance, from the beginning of January through the end of February, the pill I was on wa...  Read Full »

Dr. Vidyaprem

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinq.com. I can understand your concern and what you are going through is a hormonal problem. The regularity gradually sets in with maturation of the HPO (hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian) axis ( as you grow older), and the treatment of choice is hormonal pills. The possibilitie...  Read Full »

I get intense cramps and bleeding in the middle of birthcontrol pills. Is this sign of ectopic pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions about a potential ectopic pregnancy? I recently started new birth control (after not taking any sort of birth control for three months) called Drospirenone and Ethinyl tablets, USP (3mg/0.02mg) and I am now on day 22 of taking the pills...  Read Full »

Dr. Lorena Zijaj

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have to know that contraceptive pills will prevent a future pregnancy if you have taken the pills for seven days. After that, you can have unprotected sexual intercourse. So before that you have to use another form of contraception. Also, if you have had sexual...  Read Full »