Q. I have brown patches at the back of the neck with no harm for the past few years. Please help.

Dr. Snehal Laul

I am a 26-year-old male. I have black/brown patches on my back below the neck. The whole of my upper back portion has turned black/brown. It has been around 10 years this discoloration started but is now constant (not spreading) for the past 4-5 years.

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

It is pigmented hairy epidermal nevus (Becker nevus or Beckers melanosis). The first appearance of this nevus is in adolescence. It presents as an irregular, hyperpigmented patch. Once present these nevi stabilize after several months or years.

Becker nevus is a benign condition and malignant transformation is rare. No treatment is required, although lasers have been used for cosmetic benefits. Its cause is familial and occurs due to mutation. Genetic counseling should be tried.

| 

Apart from laser treatment is there any medication that reduces its appearance?

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

As it is melanosis, you can try demelanizing agents like Azelaic acid, Kojic cream.

Use Aziderm 20 percent cream at night for 20 days, or Kojic cream at night for 20 days, or Nexglow cream at night for 20 days.

Take tablet Limcee 500 mg once a day for 30 days.

|