Q. I have a dark spot on the iris of my eye. What could be the cause?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have realized that a dark spot appeared on the iris of my eye. I wanted to get a first opinion on an HD photo. Would that be possible? My partner informed me that she saw something similar in my eye in the past.

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have a dark spot in the iris of your eye. According to the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that is provided here, you may suffer from dark spots on the iris due to higher lifetime exposure to sunlight or iris freckles due to excess production of melanin by melanocyte cells.

Suppose you observe any changes in dark spots like getting larger or producing any vision problems, contact with an eye specialist immediately. Usually, this type of dark spots are harmless and go away with time without any medical treatment. In case of any other query, ask me.

Thank you very much for your reply.

This is what I thought but wanted to double-check with an expert. Have a great day, and all the best to you.

#

Thanks for joining us again.

Yes, do double-check with an eye specialist to exclude other possible causes. Thank you too, and have a nice day. Take care. If any other query, knock me, and I will try to reply to you further.

|