Q. Can the dark spots on the head of my penis be removed using a cream or ointment?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 18 years old and have several dark spots on the head of my penis. They have been there for around a year; they cause no pain, itching, irritation, etc. And no bumps either. I have never had sex, so I am sure it is not an STD but still want to make sure it is safe, and I would like to know if there is any way to remove them, maybe with a cream or ointment safely?

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are suffering from several dark spots on the head of the penis for the last one year. According to the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) provided here, you may suffer from penile melanosis, which are the patches of brown or dark brown or significantly darker than the skin of the head of the penis. It is a harmless condition and does not need any medical treatment. They may have resulted from excess melanin deposition in those particular areas. But the exact causes for its formation is unknown. It is assumed that age, genetic factors, minor injuries, use of certain drugs like Anthralin, PUVA (psoralen and ultraviolet A) therapy, etc., may cause their formation. Surgical intervention to remove the spots is one of the treatment options. In case of any other query, ask me.

|