Q. I have a black spot on my penis opening. Kindly let me know what it is.

Dr. Zubayeralam

I have a black spot on the pink skin of my penis opening but not on the penis head. I noticed it today, and there is no pain or irritation, but still, I am terrified. Can you please let me know what the issue is? I have no previous history of the same problem or have taken any tests or medications for it.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a black spot on the penis. According to the picture provided (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), you suffer from penile melanosis. It is a benign, harmless condition caused due to overproduction of melanin. Skin can appear in various colors, including shades of brown, pink, black, grey, or blue.

Overproduction of melanin usually occurs after an injury to the penis. It often occurs due to excessive rubbing of the penis during sexual intercourse or self-pleasuring. Continuous frictions or damages to the penis by wearing tight clothes or masturbation or sexual encounters can spread. Dryness of the glans penis often occurs due to friction.

Wearing loose clothes, avoiding masturbation or sexual intercourse, and maintaining personal hygiene can help provide some relief. You can apply topical Retinol (Vitamin A) every night before going to sleep. In addition, you can use moisturizing cream or Vaseline to prevent dryness of the penis.

It does not produce any symptoms like soreness, itching, etc. It is not contagious. It usually does not require any medical treatment, and it fades away with time. But, if you notice any changes in the black spot on your penis, then you can get a second opinion soon.

Take care. In case of any other query, knock me.

|