HomeAnswersDermatologyblack spotsMy mother has black itchy spots on her feet. Kindly help.

What causes black spots on feet that are linearly spreading and itching?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 12, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 21, 2023

Patient's Query

My mother's skin has black spots somewhere on both feet that are just spreading linearly and causing itching. She has been having this problem for more than two years. We have consulted many doctors, but none can completely cure it as it grows during treatment as well. Prescribed medicine caused more itching. A thyroid test was done, and it was negative. First, we tried homeopathy, and now allopathy. What disease is it? Is it eczema or anything else? Please guide.

Answered by Dr. Suvash Sahu

I have read your query thoroughly and understand your concern. It seems your mother has developed lichen simplex chronicus. It arises because of repetitive scratching or rubbing, and there is a thickening of the skin with variable flakes. Lichen simplex chronicus usually is described as a stable itchy thickening in one or more areas. However, thickening of the skin occurs in any location that the patient can reach, like the nape of the neck, extensor forearms and elbows, upper medial thighs, knees, lower legs, and ankles. In your mother's case, it involves extensor aspects of ankles, causes age-related dryness, venous insufficiencies like tortuous veins or pooling of blood due to prolonged standing or weakness of blood vessels wall due to aging, and eczema in old age due to baths with hot water (asteatotic eczema) are common factors. Following is the suggested treatment:

1. Apply Xerina cream (Glycolic acid and urea) or Moistrex cream (Urea, lactic acid, and liquid paraffin). Wait for 15 minutes, and then apply topical steroids with salicylic acid (Propysalic NF lotion). An occlusive dressing will be more helpful. The method of occlusion is, after the application of the Propysalic lotion, above this, put a flat polythene cover and then a cotton bandage to leave it for the whole night for two to three days. Occlusion is not needed in the daytime. It should be applied twice daily for two to four weeks.
  2. Take one tablet of Levocetirizine once daily for a similar duration.
  3. She can try an injection of Kenacort (Triamcinolone acetonide) 10 mg/mL 0.1 mL/cm2 intralesional at the three weeks interval should be given by a dermatologist.

Hope this has addressed your query.

Warm regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dermatology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dermatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy