Q. What is the possibility of miscarriage after negative urine pregnancy test?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

My partner had a miscarriage unknowingly that she was pregnant five to eight weeks maybe? She had negative home pregnancy tests, a negative test at the doctor, and had a miscarriage the next day after doctors test. My question is, could it be possible there is another fetus remaining inside? I only ask because we each have one parent that is a twin. Please advise.

She thought she was on her period the entire week. Bled for seven days. She attributed it to the Plan-b pill she took several weeks back. We had unprotected sex but I still pulled out. She is on birth control and used a Plan-b pill. How is any of this miscarriage stuff possible especially after just seeing the doctor the day before miscarriage?

#

If Bhcg (beta-human chorionic gonadotropin) test or urine pregnancy test says she is pregnant then we can say she is pregnant. And if Bhcg test is positive and healthy if it is decreasing with the history of bleeding then we can say it was a miscarriage.

Or we find a fetus part in ultrasound scan or test bleeding parts then we can say that it was pregnancy. It can be possible. The twin part, I cannot say. Need to do an ultrasound scan to check the status of pregnancy. Sometimes early there is implantation bleeding only.

She found the actual fetus after, she is pretty shaken up about it and then her bleeding stopped afterward. So she is 99% sure it was a miscarriage. Any advice on what to do now?

#

You can see sac like structure on naked eye in this much early pregnancy. If pregnancy was only around six weeks. You cannot see clearly the fetus. Yes, if we see sac like structure then also we can confirm. But at the same time, the urine test should also come positive if pregnancy is that much big. If bleeding stopped after it expelled out then it was almost spontaneous abortion. Most of the time it is complete abortion. Wait for a few days and can do an ultrasound scan after five days to confirm whether it was complete or incomplete abortion. If bleeding starts before five days then do ultrasound scan early.

If complete abortion then wait for three months and start taking folic acid tablets one month before planning the next pregnancy.

If incomplete abortion then first need to clean the uterus with curettage procedure. And after the procedure wait for three months and start folic acid.

Can do some test like Torch- IgG and IgM for finding the cause behind sudden abortion. There can be a problem in the baby also which is more likely.

|