Q. During unprotected intercourse, I had some bleeding after fingering. Why?

Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2021

I am a female. I had unprotected intercourse with my boyfriend last night. Is this safe? Every time after fingering, I had some bleeding. After intercourse, I got a thick liquid with blood. Is this normal? Kindly help me.

#

I understand your concern. If you are not sure whether your boyfriend has any sexually transmitted infection, you can do these tests to rule it out. You can do TPHA (treponema pallidum hemagglutination), herpes simplex virus (HSV) 1 and 2 IgG (immunoglobulin G), herpes simplex virus (HSV) 1 and 2 IgM (immunoglobulin M), chlamydia trachomatis IgG, HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) 1 and 2 antibody screening test, and HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen). If you are worried about pregnancy, you can plan to take emergency contraceptive pills.

Bleeding can occur due to infection in the vagina. It can cause bleeding itself or it can cause dryness resulting in bleeding. Hymen breakage can cause bleeding in few females if it is first-time sex. You can have an allergy to semen and it can be identified by using condoms. Dryness in the vagina can cause bleeding in the vagina. It can occur due to infection, improper foreplay, dehydration, age factor, and hormonal imbalance.

You can have bleeding in the vagina due to forceful sex, normal menstrual bleeding if you have an early period, bleeding disorders, and vaginismus. It is a fear during sex and it causes the muscles of the genitals to contract and cause pain. You can have bleeding due to eczema and deep penetration in few positions during sex. Kindly share some details to reach a definitive diagnosis and proper management can be planned.

|