Q. I am in 13th week of pregnancy and experienced postcoital bleeding twice. Is there any problem?

Dr. Deepali Raina

I am in the 13th week of my first pregnancy. I had two episodes of postcoital bleeding after which USG was done and showed low lying placenta (lower placenta is covering the os). I had been on bed rest and pelvic rest for the past one week and taking Susten 200 BD apart from Folvite. Is it fine for me to go to my work place (I am a pathologist have to sit for three to four hours only)? Any other precaution?

#

If there is no active bleeding you can safely go to work provided the roads and all are smooth and if it is not a very long drive. Please avoid intercourse and vaginal douching. Repeat USG after six weeks for a level 2 scan and look for placental migration. Continue Susten (Progesterone tablet).

Please suggest a good calcium and vitamin D supplements. Do I need any other supplements? How long should I continue the Folic acid?

#

Folic acid supplements can be stopped now. Tablet Livogen XT once a day is enough it contains Folic acid 1.5 mg too. Tablet Shelcal 500 mg twice a day, it has both calcium and vitamin D.

Iron is preferable to be taken on an empty stomach. If however, you get nausea or acidity then you can take with food though absorption will be compromised. If your initial Hb is 11.5 or more then this treatment is enough.

| 

We are planning for a baby and her progesterone level was 23.5 on the 10 th day of ovulation. What it means?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife and I are currently trying for a baby. She went to the hospital today to do a check on her progesterone levels as today is her 10 th day after ovulation. Her result showed that her progesterone level is 23.5. What does this result mean?  Read Full »

Unless I take progesterone, I am bleeding continuously. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 5'10" and 250 lbs. I am 28 years old. I have a history of PCOS, had an endometrial biopsy, and it came back negative for hyperplasia and malignancy. The reason for my visit was period started with passing large clots and continuous period. Currently, I am menstruating for three mon...  Read Full »

How to deal with bleeding after sex and smelly vaginal discharge?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old with three children, and my periods stopped a few months ago. After some time, I got a short period for one time; then it stopped for another three months. I started feeling unwell and thought it was just due to stress. I had some discharge, which was not itchy but h...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»