Q. I got light bleeding the day after intercourse. Why?

Dr. Raveendran S. R

I got light bleeding the day after intercourse. Do I need to consult my general physician?

I had an STI test, and it was negative, and we had protected sex.

#

I can understand your concern.

1. Infection in the vagina can cause bleeding by itself or lead to dryness and cause bleeding after sex.

2. Hymen break can cause bleeding for a few if it is first-time sex.

3. Allergic to semen (use a condom to identify).

4. Dryness – infection, improper foreplay, dehydration, age factor, hormonal imbalance.

5. Forceful sex.

6. Normal menstrual bleeding (you may have an early period).

7. Deep penetration in a few positions during sex.

You can use tablet Pause 500 (Tranexamic acid) if there is severe bleeding and meet a general physician. If it is mild bleeding, you need not worry. If there is pain you can use tablet Zerodol P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol).

Thanks, I am on the medication Spironolactone. Could this cause it?

#

No, Spironolactone will not cause bleeding.

If you can tell me why you are using Spironolactone, we can think of the cause.

Kidney-related or liver-related or add-on for hypertension?

It is just for acne. Could the medication cause dehydration? Could that cause it?

I have a bit of yellowish discoloration in the area around my eye after starting the medication, but it is not very noticeable.

#

Yes, it can be used for acne. It works by reducing the male hormone and reducing acne. But primarily, it works to increase urination which can cause dehydration. Dehydration can cause a dry vagina, which leads to bleeding.

Yellow sclera can be liver-related. You can do a liver function test to know the cause. Also, check if urine is yellow.

If yes, a liver function test and urine complete is a must.

|