Q. My fiance had bleeding few hours after taking i-pill. Is it normal?

Dr. Gowrimeena
Published on Nov 08, 2019

My fiance and I had a kind of unprotected intercourse for the first time for both of us yesterday. I did not ejaculate inside or outside the vagina. During the whole process, she did not bleed. She was not having her monthly periods, and to avoid pregnancy she took an i-pill after few hours.

But a few hours later while she was urinating she noticed bleeding at the vagina (just like during her period). But her period date is far from now.

Is it normal or serious? Please help.

Dr. Gowrimeena

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As for the common assumption that women bleed during first sex, it is a myth. Not all women have bleeding that way.

Taking an i-pill was a good idea, but it is important to know that it is 95% effective at its best and can cover only one act of sex and can be used only once in a monthly cycle.

The reason for your fiance to have bleeding could be her periods, which came early or due to a urinary infection or due to minor abrasions due to intercourse.

In any case, it is better to have a full physical examination by a gynecologist to clarify all of these.

What causes bleeding after sex?

Query: Hi doctor, Last night I had sex with my wife. It was the last day of her periods. She bled light red color with some watery fluid in it. I would like to know, is that from menstruation or virginity defloration? Does she lose her virginity?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For your information, a woman loses virginity on the first day of her intercourse. So, the bleeding is likely to be remaining endometrium of that menstrual flow and can often be seen commonly if sex occurs on last day of bleeding days. For further information consult a...  Read Full

I took emergency contraceptive pills after unprotected sex. Am I safe?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had unprotected sex. I took Plan B (72 hours) pill almost right after, four hours later. I consulted with the pharmacist on the phone but she sounded careless and told me it was safe to use. I am too young. The main question is I do not know if I should even call this vaginal sex...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Plan B is an emergency contraceptive to be taken in case of male ejaculation inside vagina. If you have already taken the medicine, nothing much can be done right now. I hope you have attained menarche, so then you should get your periods in the next two weeks. The next...  Read Full

Having spotting after emergency contraceptive pill. Is there anything to worry?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been sexually active for the past four months. We initially did not use protection, in order to avoid pregnancy I have used emergency contraceptive pills for a few times now. My periods got delayed by a day or two but with no major changes in the cycle. Last month I found spotti...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, this is not acceptable if you take I-pill frequently. As these pills are of high hormonal content, it can mess up your internal hormonal balance. So, you may have these types of few abnormal bleeding for the following few weeks. Now, the intermenstrual ble...  Read Full